Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating from Dev to Prod - Steps

Hello - looking for general advice.
    We had great plans to update our site (and migrating it to Miva 9). We started this on our dev site.

Other things have gotten in the way, and so the dev site is out of sync with the production site in terms of
    Orders
    Order Status
    Products (we added a couple of products, changed a couple of prices)
    Images - added some new images here and there

Is there a clever way to sync the dev site to Prod in terms of orders and order status, and then copy the whole dev site to Prod? I have changed the look and feel of the dev site - so it is complicated to update prod to the dev site.

We use MYSQL so that is another issue.

Any advice appreciated.

WHat I am looking for from someone who has done this before is
    a) First export all your products and import them into dev site
    b) Export all your orders ....
    c) ...
    d) Now copy the dev site to prod by dumping the database, and the copy all the directories

or something like that.

It seems like a dangerous task - especially when site is still busy and orders coming in and all that.

Thanks very much.
    Sam

Re: Migrating from Dev to Prod - Steps

In case both stores are CSSUI, simply save layout as framework on the dev site and download it to your PC. After that, save on the live site the current setting as a framework too (as backup). Then import the framework from the new site, set site in maintenance mode, set new framework as active and take out of maintenance mode. This does the trick in 90%. Sometimes you have to copy still some images, JavaScripts but that's about it. No need to synch.
    Last edited by PCINET - Andreas; 02-24-15, 04:48 PM.
    Andreas Toman
    PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
    We built over 200 Miva Merchant stores!
    Miva shopping cart design & integration service and see our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
    web: www.pcinet.com
    LinkedIn: Andreas Toman
    phone: (786) 250-2056 (Miami, FL)

Comment

We're working on a tool to make this process much easier to transfer data from one store to another (and only sync selected data)

However for the time being you're better off with migrating the data over at the database level. This will maintain relationships between customers and orders along with some other things.

You do need to know your way around the Miva database in order to do this though. If done incorrectly you can break your store. We offer this as a service, if you need additional help please contact us.
      Brennan Heyde
      VP Product
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]
      https://www.miva.com

Comment

Brennan,

Thanks for your reply. Our old store is MMUI + some CSS - not entirely a CSS framework. The new one is CSS.

I can figure my way around databases if necessary.

DO you know when your tool might be ready?

Also - do I just call in to find services help if necessary?

Thanks
        Sam

Comment

Working...
        X