Moving Only Images for Active Products from Old Site to New Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Only Images for Active Products from Old Site to New Site

Is there an easy way to move / FTP only the active and in stock product images from our current site to a new site under development? We have thousands of images for old discontinued products that we do not want to move to the new site.

I was hoping there would be an FTP client that would accept a an external file with list of the pictures as input for what to download.

I am open to suggestions if I am on the wrong track.
    Last edited by MTB2006; 02-27-15, 07:08 AM.

Re: Moving Only Images for Active Products from Old Site to New Site

Originally posted by MTB2006 View Post
    Is there an easy way to move / FTP only the active and in stock product images from our current site to a new site under development? We have thousands of images for old discontinued products that we do not want to move to the new site.

I was hoping there would be an FTP client that would accept a an external file with list of the pictures as input for what to download.

I am open to suggestions if I am on the wrong track.
    Did you delete the discontinued products or do they still exist?
    Mark Hood
    Vermont Gear

Comment

This particular site is over 10 years old. Most of them have been deleted.

Comment

Ah gotcha... I was thinking if they were using image machine images you could use the image management tool to delete unreferenced.
        Mark Hood
        Vermont Gear

Comment

If you are just using legacy images, here's how:

Download all images to local drive
          Export Product List
          In excel, remove All columns except for thumb and image
          Using the formula

=CONCATENTANT("copy ", a1, "/temp/", a1)

Create a line for each image where a1 is the image.

Once you do that, copy the entire spread sheet, paste it into a text editor and save the file as 'newimages.bat' in the director where all the images are on your computer. Next, make sure there is a /temp directory parallel to the image directory and double click the newimages.bat. this should copy each currently used image to the /temp directory. Upload to new site.

(somewhere I wrote a script to do this on the server, but not sure how 'friendly' that script is. If there was more call for it, I'd clean it up and post it. It actually runs on the New Site and GRABS the needed images from the old site.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
          X