csv update categories products are assigned to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

csv update categories products are assigned to

Does anyone know of a way to update the categories products are assigned to via a csv import?
    Thanks!
    Cameron
    Trent Studios, LLC
    Graphic Design, Website Design
    TrentStudios.com
    (970) 568-8652

Re: csv update categories products are assigned to

Export the existing products selecting the Products in Categories item, add additional categories, and import.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Do you mean to say "Export Only Products In Category:" from the "Category Settings" section of the Export Products to Flat File ?
      Trent Studios, LLC
      TrentStudios.com
      (970) 568-8652

Comment

I'd use the Export Products To Flat File, and check the Include Category List option.

http://www.miva.com/pdf/MivaV9_02-28-15.pdf, CTRL-F and type Export Products
        Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

That's what I'v been doing, and categories are getting merged. I can't see to overwrite them.
          e.g. A product was in Category A. I export. In the csv file, I change it to Category B. Import. Now the product is in both categories.
          Trent Studios, LLC
          TrentStudios.com
          (970) 568-8652

Comment

Ah...you want to UNASSIGN products from categories...

Do the same thing, but before you import adjust your product import settings. There is an option under the Product Import settings which allows you to "Replace Existing Categories Except When Field Is Empty"

So you would need to remove the category or categories from your CSV file then re-import it. It will replace you existing category assignments with what you define in the csv import.
            Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Ooo. I hadn't gone in there, before. Thanks, Bruce! That'll do the trick.
              Trent Studios, LLC
              TrentStudios.com
              (970) 568-8652

Comment

I need to do something similar but this method of editing all the products from an exported list and importing would be crazy for thousand of products.
                I have a list of products that I need to remove from a particular category. I do not want to remove all of the items from that category, nor do I want to delete and re-add the items, nor is it feasible to get a list of everything.
                I am hoping for some kind of xml tag that is the opposite of <CategoryProduct_Assign... is there a <CategoryProduct_Remove or <CategoryProduct_Delete? I have tried both those (sometimes I find one not documented) but they don't work... anyone now how to start from a list of items that need to be removed from a particular category that has thousands of items in it.. and i only want to remove several hundred?

Kelly
                Last edited by kayakbabe; 03-22-16, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X