Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I enter custom text for ONE product on display page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I enter custom text for ONE product on display page?

We have a product I'm forced to use 2 checkboxes for on the product display page, in order for the customer to upgrade their kit (there's no way around this other than billable custom scripting). The trouble is, some of the customers check BOTH boxes by mistake, and we're trying to make it as clear as possible to the customers, and minimize the time we spend making sure none of the orders have this issue.

So, we want to put text saying "CHOOSE ONE" right above the checkboxes. I've poked around the platform and searched the docs, Google and these forums, but it seems that in order to have any text in that area I'd have to edit the product display page template. Of course that's no bueno because not every product needs the text!

If it's possible and I'm just not looking in the right place, would someone tell me where/how I can? Otherwise, would you please confirm that it isn't possible as a DIY solution within the platform? Because it's his request that we add this text, I have to go back to my boss and explain what the limitations are to what I can actually change there.

Product is here: http://www.headblade.com/product/Shark_Kit.html

Thanks,
    Roxanne

Re: How do I enter custom text for ONE product on display page?

If those are attributes, change to Radio buttons....if not, change them to radio buttons anyway.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Oh, believe me, when I put that up a few days ago, I spent nearly 3 hours trying every combination of attribute types there are!

Radio buttons don't work, because they don't automatically add the $25 upgrade to the shopping cart. You can't add options to a checkbox attribute (ideally, checking the box would display a pulldown asking Matte or Glossy, but that's a customization). After the 3 hour adventure, I asked Miva devs and it was confirmed that what I did is the only way to work around the limitation (without having to pay for dev time).

Can you confirm that what I'm asking for is NOT an option due to the text needing to be in the template, and would therefore display on every page; not just the one product? Boss is on me about it :-/

Comment

I may not completely understand what you're doing, but if set up correctly, radio buttons will absolutely allow you to add the $25 to the product price.

Comment

It's apparently the "set up correctly," thing that's at issue. What I want to happen is that a customer checks a box saying, "Upgrade," which then causes two options to be displayed (a radio button would be fabulous), "Matte" or "Glossy." Upon choosing one of those options, it's added to the order - the $25 price AND the choice of cream. This is not possible with the current options in Miva. I have been advised that the only way to get what I want is to pay for custom coding - and wait a few weeks (neither of which are amenable to the man who signs the checks).

My current workaround, which is less than ideal and sufficiently confusing that more than one customer has already inadvertently checked BOTH boxes, is the best we can do. Far less than happy with this solution, I assure you.

Comment

Like I said, maybe I don't get it, but if you ditch the checkbox completely, and set up a non-required radio attribute, with a Prompt of something like "Optional Upgrade" and an add-on price of $25.00, and then set the options for the radio buttons to either Matte or Glossy, wouldn't that accomplish what you want? It would prevent someone from being able to select both options (the radio buttons will toggle) and will add on the $25 charge.

Comment

I tried using radio buttons but they don't pass the add-on price into the sale, and you can't add radio button options to a radio button attribute. I swear, I really wasn't exaggerating when I said I spent several hours trying to figure out how to make it work, as well as asking the dev team if I was just missing something, before settling on the (free) workaround I've got. Ah well... no help for it now.

Comment

I'm sorry, that's just not true. Radio is an attribute-level type, to which you add options. You can add additional pricing at either the attribute level or at the option level.

So you set up your radio buttons attribute, then you add as many options as you want, with or without additional pricing. RWRP and Standard are options of the radio attribute "Type" in the screenshot below.

Screenshot.jpg
                Last edited by Leanne; 03-10-15, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the help and I'll dig into it later to see if it'll work that way...

Comment

rox,

FYI: If someone (like Leanne and I :) ) say that this is the way to do it, and you don't see how, you might consider submitting a support requests cause:

1) either some pre-existing coding has removed the ability, in which case, they could probably point it out. or
                    2) instructions are not clear in which case, the only way they know that is by folks complaining about it.

Also, many third party interrogators would be able to assist you for a very reasonable fee (in this case, for example, probably 20/30) and at least within 24 hours. The trick is to locate such an integrator, before you need them so that all you need to do is send them an email with the request. Typically, what causes a 10 minute job to cost +100 is the 5 emails back and forth getting all the paperwork done.
                    Bruce Golub
                    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                    phosphormedia.com

Comment

If you like the checkboxes then you could execute a JS script on form submit and edit for 2 selections like this:
                      <script type="text/javascript">
                      function edit_option() {
                      var checkbox1 = document.getElementById("Product_Attributes[1]:value");
                      // determine if checkbox is present
                      if (checkbox1 == null) {
                      return true;
                      }
                      var checkbox2 = document.getElementById("Product_Attributes[2]:value");
                      if (checkbox1.checked && checkbox2.checked){
                      checkbox1.checked = false;
                      checkbox2.checked = false;
                      alert("Please select only one option");
                      return false;
                      }
                      }
                      </script>
                      then add the onsubmit to the <form statement:
                      <form method="post" onsubmit="return edit_option()".........>

I think using radio buttons would be less confusing to your customers though.
                      Larry
                      Last edited by wajake41; 03-11-15, 12:04 AM.
                      Larry
                      Luce Kanun Web Design
                      www.facebook.com/wajake41
                      www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Here is a super quick example:

http://dts2290.mivamerchantdev.com/m...duct_Code=Test

I added the option for them to select the Standard Kit because there isn't a way to deselect a radio button once you pick one so they would be stuck upgrading.

Like previous users have said if this configuration isn't possible something is wrong. See attached file for how it is setup in admin.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Best solution. One suggestion: set the default on the standard to yes so that is the default.
                          Larry
                          Luce Kanun Web Design
                          www.facebook.com/wajake41
                          www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Thanks for your help, everyone! I was finally able to set this up correctly (the styling is a little weird but I'm not going to worry about that for now). Having the standard kit option there so they can "uncheck" an upgrade radio button solved that problem, which was an issue my CFO had when we were trying to figure out the best way to add this option.

Have a great day!

Comment

Working...
                            X