Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIVA Security Update - Norton Security Suite unable to protect port 995 against SPAM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MIVA Security Update - Norton Security Suite unable to protect port 995 against SPAM.

After reconfiguring our email client to work with MIVA's recent eMail Security Update notification, we immediately noticed a significant increase in the number of SPAM eMails that were not being filtered out by our Norton Security Suite Anti-SPAM solution provided by our ISP.

After researching the matter, we discovered that though Norton Security Suite does provide the ability to add additional ports to monitor/protect, it is currently unable to add POP3 port 995 at this time.

Consequently, we need to look for another Anti-SPAM solution in the interim, any suggestions?

I noticed MIVA provides Spam Assassin in their control panel, any feedback on same?
    Thank you, Bill Davis

Re: MIVA Security Update - Norton Security Suite unable to protect port 995 against S

Hi Bill, it sounds like Norton is accomplishing its work by watching the raw traffic crossing the wire instead of using an API into the email application. Now that the email traffic is encrypted, it can't see the content.

A great spam filter I recommend is Cloudmark Desktop. Right now the pro licenses (needed for more than one email account or use with the same account on more than one computer) are free:

http://www.cloudmarkdesktop.com/

They used to be $20/year so I suspect they will be gain at some point in the future; just wanted to make you aware that the product could become paid again at some point.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Re: MIVA Security Update - Norton Security Suite unable to protect port 995 against S

Spam Assassin works. We use it on 6 physical servers to service 50+ domains.

The WHM implementation is pretty vanilla but at the Cpanel (domain) level it can be tweaked for a specific domains needs. I'd give it 4 out of 5 just because it isn't a tool for the Clueless Class. They can make their Email stop out of raw derpiness in just a few keystrokes.

As admins, we love it. One of my sons (17yo) works a couple of hours a week adjusting the filters for specific sites. It's that easy.

I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by nottheusual1 View Post

As admins, we love it. One of my sons (17yo) works a couple of hours a week adjusting the filters for specific sites. It's that easy.

LOL! Most 17 year olds are far more capable at working with computer systems than the average store owner. :) Heck, whenever I buy Girl Scout cookies, I ask if any of them need some side work doing networking...
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

We're playing with the Pi Raspberry 2 right now. Just got them on Friday.

Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by nottheusual1 View Post
            We're playing with the Pi Raspberry 2 right now. Just got them on Friday.

Amazing.
            Interesting, how are you using it (Personal and/or Business)? If business, I'm always interested in learning from other store owners anything I can to improve our business and knowledge.
            Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Hi Bill,

Right now we're in the "play with" stage. We've used the previous version to make home media servers. For about $50.00.

This version has more RAM (1GB) and a quad-core ARM processor. And costs $35.00. It's a complete computer about the size of a deck of cards.

We're geeks. Things like this excite us more than the new car model year!

Comment

well, you can always figure out how to use the pi in your new model car...
                http://hackaday.com/2013/09/30/using...more-features/
                Bruce Golub
                Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post

Hi Bill, it sounds like Norton is accomplishing its work by watching the raw traffic crossing the wire instead of using an API into the email application. Now that the email traffic is encrypted, it can't see the content.

A great spam filter I recommend is Cloudmark Desktop. Right now the pro licenses (needed for more than one email account or use with the same account on more than one computer) are free:

http://www.cloudmarkdesktop.com/

They used to be $20/year so I suspect they will be gain at some point in the future; just wanted to make you aware that the product could become paid again at some point.
                  David, Cloudmark Desktop is being discontinued. Do you know of other services (even if its paid)? What about Plesk's SPAM Filter (sensitivity)?
                  Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Unfortunately Plesk's filters pretty much stink. We're in a situation similar to CloudMark where a good portion of our hosted customers are hosting their email elsewhere with companies who specialize in email, such as Microsoft's Exchange online, Google Apps, similar hosted MS Exchange providers, etc. That has made it not cost effective to try and bring in high end spam appliances (like Barracuda) since most of our customers would not use them, and the rate we'd need to charge those that opted in would not likely be lower than what those customers could pay directly to service providers for the same or better filtering.

Barracuda is great but not cost effective for small businesses; it's better suited for businesses with 40+ employees due to cost of their virtual appliance.

Some other options would be Spam Titan ($15/mo for 1-10 users), TrendMicro's Business Security (roughly $3 to 6/mo per user if 2-10 mailboxes and gets less expensive from there), Comodo's KoruMail cloud gateway (I believe roughly the same price as TrendMicro).

The way those work is you have your domain pointed at them for mail, they filter, and then pass through the messages that are not flagged as spam. You control all the spam settings via their control panel.
                    David Hubbard
                    CIO
                    Miva
                    [email protected]
                    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Working...
                    X