Best practice for images related to expired products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best practice for images related to expired products

I am curious to know what people consider to be the best practice as far as image management for expired products goes. I am working with a site that has recently removed a large number of products that are no longer active, and am wondering if the images related to those products should also be removed, or if there is any benefit in leaving them there.

Re: Best practice for images related to expired products

I can't see why they would be of any use. Its possible the image itself is indexed in say google images, but so what...if there is no reference to a page where the image can be seen on context, I doubt the site is getting any traction from the image....and with the cost of SSD disk space on Merchant, seems like its best to remove them.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

I guess I was thinking about images that are linked to from sites other than Google. This site gets a lot of traffic from places like Pinterest and design sites/blogs. Although, as with Google Images, if the image no longer exists in context...

Comment

I would say delete them. If people are hot linking the images on other websites, they're not likely giving credit to your site to begin with so they're not resulting in inbound traffic. What you could do though, is create an image with the domain name, and then use a .htaccess in the images directory specifically that serves this special image for 404's that occur in the images directory; then hot linkers will end up advertising the site.
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]
        http://www.miva.com

Comment

Fair enough. Out they go! :)

Comment

Working...
          X