Someone Creating Fake Customers on our Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone Creating Fake Customers on our Site

I'm not quite sure which forum to post this under, so apologize if it's in the wrong place.

I've been going through our customer list (we have about 10,000) and have found a really high number of fake accounts being created. Things like [email protected] with fake names like dkjadsfl being entered. There seem to be no associated orders with these accounts but so far I've found about 200 of them, all created in the last year and I'm nowhere near finished going through and looking for them.

So several questions come to mind.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Does anyone know what someone would gain by creating all of these fake accounts?

And from a practical standpoint, is there an easy way to quickly identify all customer accounts that do not have any orders associated with it without going through and bringing up each account individually?

Thanks.
    Linda

Re: Someone Creating Fake Customers on our Site

And from a practical standpoint, is there an easy way to quickly identify all customer accounts that do not have any orders associated with it without going through and bringing up each account individually?
    Not that I know of today, but that is coming very soon as a built in feature.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Linda View Post
      I'm not quite sure which forum to post this under, so apologize if it's in the wrong place.

I've been going through our customer list (we have about 10,000) and have found a really high number of fake accounts being created. Things like [email protected] with fake names like dkjadsfl being entered. There seem to be no associated orders with these accounts but so far I've found about 200 of them, all created in the last year and I'm nowhere near finished going through and looking for them.

So several questions come to mind.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Does anyone know what someone would gain by creating all of these fake accounts?

Thanks.
      Linda
      For the record I've done similar on sites before when there is no easy way to see shipping cost in the basket? This was so I can see the shipping cost without giving them my real information.
      Mark Hood
      Vermont Gear

Comment

We see a lot of fake account creation in our discussion forums. In this case it's bot traffic trolling the web and finding opportunities to create accounts in hopes of being able to use the account to generate web spam.
        Todd Gibson
        Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family

Comment

Working...
        X