9.03 Gift Certificate Docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.03 Gift Certificate Docs

Any documentation on the 9.03 Gift Certificate?

Re: 9.03 Gift Certificate Docs

The template change docs have been posted but user docs are not out yet. However I'm sure I can answer (or Brennan can answer) any questions you have about it?

What do you want to know?
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks Rick.

One question, if my site already had a Miva Ready Theme in use before the 9.03 upgrade, are these templates automatically built in or do I still have to make the changes?

Comment

You'll have to manually make those changes. We'll be posting docs today to explain those.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]

Comment

Where are these Docs posted?

Comment

http://www.miva.com/mm9.3_template_changes.html
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]

Comment

I am looking forward to those docs. I have a couple questions in the meantime after doing some testing.

I'm really singing the praises for this latest patch, and after fiddling with this implementation, it is looking super slick and very simple. One problem I'm having however is that it is not properly calculating the "Product Sale Price" when it is attribute driven (or I am doing something wrong). It's pulling over the other attributes great, but just not assigning the attribute value to the gift certificate creation value. I might use Bill's minimum quantity module to force specific value increments for the product to sidestep this problem, but it would be great if I could just use the attributes I already have.

Secondly, can the redemption field be put on the OSEL screen without much fuss? Or basket screen. I don't really care either way, but I know we don't want it to be a standalone screen.

Thanks in advance--you guys are doing awesome things!

Comment

I got some clarification for development on how the Gift Certificate Price is calculated when using Product Sale Price:

The generated gift certificate value is based off of the Products line item price in the basket. So if you have attributes setup to display their additional cost as separate line items under the product they will not be accounted for. But if you have the attributes set up as inventory variants with pricing set as the “sum of parts” so that the products line item price is updated to include the attributes price, the gift certificate would also include them.

The same is true for discounts. If you are using a product discount that directly changes the products line item price the generated gift cert will show that.

This means that attributes are ignored when determining the gift certificate amount, unless you are using inventory variants with "sum or price" selected.
                Brennan Heyde
                VP Product
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for the clarification, Brennan.

How about any word on the redemption field/input placement? Easy to add to BASK or OSEL?

Comment

And an addendum:

I have the inventory variants working great now, but I'm running into a problem. We offer an option to mail a printed gift certificate to the recipient for an extra amount, and previously we had this working as an attribute. Unfortunately that is no longer working using inventory variants. We don't want to use it in "Sum of Parts" because we want the gift certificate amount to be for the set value. For instance, the customer wants to buy a $25 gift certificate, and wants it mailed for an extra $1. I don't want to create a gift certificate for $26. I just want to create the $25 gift certificate and add on the $1 extra for the mailing fee, but there seems to be no way to do this using the variant system, because the standalone (non-variant generated) attribute value will not get added separately when Sum of Parts is used for the master product. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Comment

Yep. Below is the default code. The form can be added to any page. Since certificates are converted to account credit you must be logged in to view the redeem form:

Code:
                      <mvt:if expr="g.Basket:cust_id EQ 0">
                      	<a class="floatleft" href="&mvte:global:secure_sessionurl;Screen=GFTL&Store_Code=&mvta:global:Store_Code;">Redeem Gift Certificate</a>
                      <mvt:else>
                      	<mvt:if expr="g.Secure">
                      		<form class="floatleft" method="post" action="&mvte:global:secure_sessionurl;Screen=&mvta:global:Screen;">
                      	<mvt:else>
                      		<form class="floatleft" method="post" action="&mvte:global:sessionurl;Screen=&mvta:global:Screen;">
                      	</mvt:if>
                      			<input type="hidden" name="Action" value="RDGC" />
                      			<input type="hidden" name="Store_Code" value="&mvte:global:Store_Code;" />
                      			Gift Certificate:
                      			<input type="text" name="GiftCertificate_Code"> <mvt:item name="buttons" param="ApplyGiftCert" />
                      		</form>
                      </mvt:if>
                      Brennan Heyde
                      VP Product
                      Miva, Inc.
                      [email protected]

Comment

What if you made the $1 fee a shipping method that only shows up if the gift certificate is ordered?
                        Brennan Heyde
                        VP Product
                        Miva, Inc.
                        [email protected]

Comment

Is there a way to tie a shipping method to an attribute selection? Most of our customers opt to not have it mailed, so it would need to be something they specifically select, which is why the attribute made the most sense when we originally set it up. The only other thing I've thought of is perhaps utilizing the multi-add to include an entirely separate product to the cart when the mail option is selected on the gift certificate page/ctgy.

Also, do you know the reasons why development chose to require login for gift certificate redemption? I know when I personally shop, I really despise having to login if someone gets me a gift cert. or card to a retailer I might not typically use.

Thanks for all your help, Brennan.

Comment

You could display 2 shipping methods, Electronic Delivery, which would be free and Physically Mailed, which would be $1. Or you could make it appear as an attribute on the product page and save their selection to a custom basket field and pre-select the shipping method for them during checkout.

As to why we choose to require an account, its because gift certificates get converted to account credit, and they you apply the account credit to the order. This gives us a built in account credit system (which itself has a ton of uses) but it is also more secure and the method apple, amazon, and other large online retailers use.
                            Brennan Heyde
                            VP Product
                            Miva, Inc.
                            [email protected]

Comment

Any idea when the docs are coming out? I tried to set this up for a client but can't figure it out.
                              Client wants to sell them and then allow redemption of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X