Building Responsive site from MMUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Responsive site from MMUI

We're in the initial throes of changing our site to have a responsive design. Our Miva 9 store is only one component of our site (other parts include Wordpress blog, 25 static pages, a photo gallery, and a content "library"). Just to paint the picture that there's quite a mountain of work here to make all these sections look the same.

The developer we're working with is more or less saying, "you take care of the Miva stuff, I'll take care of the rest." Which means I'll need to do what it takes to make our store take on the appearance of the rest of the site. I'd rather work the other way around, start with Miva and make the rest look like it, but I'm not the final word in the matter.

I understand taking our MMUI data/customizations/etc and rebuilding that in a new CSSUI store is no small task, I've read the Miva blog on how to convert, etc.

1. One day we will need to rebuild our store with a CSSUI store, true?
    2. To make our store have a responsive design, do I need to start with a CSSUI store? Over the years we've customized MMUI quite heavily, even using CSS to primarily style our pages. Is the "css" in "CSSUI" a coincidence to the name?
    3. In my MMUI store, I have numerous custom page templates. An example is an alternate PROD page called PROD2. Is rebuilding PROD2 in the CSSUI store a manual process, or does that happen when copying and replacing database tables?
    4. Is there a third party service that I can hire do the data copying from our MMUI store to the CSSUI?
    5. What kinds of troubles have others encountered with rebuilding a CSSUI from a MMUI store?

Thanks.
    Mark

Re: Building Responsive site from MMUI

Originally posted by Mark Stephens View Post
    We're in the initial throes of changing our site to have a responsive design. Our Miva 9 store is only one component of our site (other parts include Wordpress blog, 25 static pages, a photo gallery, and a content "library"). Just to paint the picture that there's quite a mountain of work here to make all these sections look the same.

The developer we're working with is more or less saying, "you take care of the Miva stuff, I'll take care of the rest." Which means I'll need to do what it takes to make our store take on the appearance of the rest of the site. I'd rather work the other way around, start with Miva and make the rest look like it, but I'm not the final word in the matter.

I understand taking our MMUI data/customizations/etc and rebuilding that in a new CSSUI store is no small task, I've read the Miva blog on how to convert, etc.

1. One day we will need to rebuild our store with a CSSUI store, true?
    2. To make our store have a responsive design, do I need to start with a CSSUI store? Over the years we've customized MMUI quite heavily, even using CSS to primarily style our pages. Is the "css" in "CSSUI" a coincidence to the name?
    3. In my MMUI store, I have numerous custom page templates. An example is an alternate PROD page called PROD2. Is rebuilding PROD2 in the CSSUI store a manual process, or does that happen when copying and replacing database tables?
    4. Is there a third party service that I can hire do the data copying from our MMUI store to the CSSUI?
    5. What kinds of troubles have others encountered with rebuilding a CSSUI from a MMUI store?

Thanks.
    Mark
    1. I believe this is true so if you want to be able to use all the new features it will make #2 much easier and I don't think the CSSUI name was a coincidence. The CSSUI default framework is CSS based but if you are rebuilding I would suggest you consider using a ready theme.
    3. Manual process especially since you are planning to move to a CSSUI responsive design which will be a redesign of every single page you have.
    4. I'd post this to work for hire but the three that come to my mind are Leslie Kirk, Phosphor Media, & Glendale Designs in no particular order.
    5. I believe the biggest problem tends to be previous order data or at least it was for me.
    6. You probably have modules that need to be updated or are no longer needed at all.
    7. Miva was talking recently and for many years about making a upgrade tool from MMUI to CSSUI. (not sure where they are at with it but you may want to ask)
    Mark Hood
    Vermont Gear

Comment

#5 and #7 are very close to release (it's one thing).

The process will be, you build a new Ready Theme (or any thing really) on CSSUI and get it looking, feeling and acting how you want it.

Then when ready, you put the old store in Maintenance Mode, delete MMUI (but retain your data), apply the Framework from the new CSSUI based (possibly Ready Theme) store you've just built.

Test.

Come out of maintenance mode.
      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
      CEO
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]
      https://www.miva.com

Comment

I appreciate the input guys. Thanks!

Comment