reduce inventory when checkout complete, not added to cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reduce inventory when checkout complete, not added to cart

Is it possible these days, using built-in inventory, to keep a product in inventory until the customer has checked-out? i.e. don't remove it when it's added to their cart.
    Thanks!
    Cameron
    Trent Studios, LLC
    Graphic Design, Website Design
    TrentStudios.com
    (970) 568-8652

Re: reduce inventory when checkout complete, not added to cart

Not a great idea:

You have 20 widgets. 40 people come to your site because you have a great price on these widgets.

Everyone puts the item into their basket. Inventory still says 20 available, so no one is in a particular hurry.

Once people start checking out, inventory starts to drop. But chances are people don't see it, especially in a checkout funnel.

20 people are going to be angry when they try to submit the order.
    Gordon Currie
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Gordon makes a good point. But there seem to be a small number of merchants who are willing to accept that. Some of them, for instance, sell popular products such as video-game cartridges, that have limited supply, and sell out very quickly. The buyers (kids?) tend to load up their cart with stuff first, and then decide what to buy, or end up abandoning the cart. So the stores will quickly start showing products as out of stock when they really aren't.

I've written a couple of modules for these users, to alter the store's behavior so that inventory counts aren't reduced until a customer completes a purchase. Cameron, you can email me to discuss it in detail.

Thanks --
      Kent Multer
      Magic Metal Productions
      http://TheMagicM.com
      * Web developer/designer
      * E-commerce and Miva
      * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

We have always set our inventory to 99 for all products, even if we only have one. We manually out of stock items when they sell out.

Here is what we learned over the last 20 years of selling on the internet this way:

If your website tells your prospects that you don't have enough to fill their order, they will try to find another site that does and you will lose the sale. (If you are one of my competitors, they come to me. Thank you.)
        Most people looking for a large quantity for an event have either A: plenty of time for you to order the products or B: flexibility as far as product.
        We have converted over 95% of the orders we have taken, but could not immediately fill. When they go to another site, you convert 0%. (and you got to pay for it if you advertise)
        Jim Sisk
        Uncommon Treasures

Comment

Working...
        X