Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Mobile Friendly, CSS, SEO...............................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Mobile Friendly, CSS, SEO...............................

Hey guys,

I have been running an online business for about 15 years now. I have seen my listings keep falling on the search engines for main keywords and can't seem to get it them back.

I just recently noticed that Google says my site is not Mobile Friendly so I decided to figure some of that out.

One of the things I have noticed is that my phone number at the top of the page works fine on a desktop but the color and position are off on an iPhone.

Most of my site is in HTML, I am the one who built it with no real education on the subject and it shows. I was thinking that if I start using CSS for everything it will help with the mobile side. I figure if I start small with this one issue I might be able to figure out how to get the rest of my site using CSS.

The phone number is in my Global Header using this simple code: <font color="white"><font size="6"><center>(555) 555-5555</center></font></font>

It works fine for the desktop but not for mobile. This is what I tried to replace it with and it does nothing:

<html>
    <head>
    <style type="text/css">
    body {
    color: White; }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>
    (555) 555-5555
    </body>
    </html>

Am I completely off here? I am assuming that I have to do more to call up CSS, if its even possible?

My website is: SpotlightDisplays dot com

Thank you for any advice!!!
    Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Re: Not Mobile Friendly, CSS, SEO...............................

Applying CSS to your markup has two basic steps. Adding a selector and then defining it.

For something like your situation, you need

<p class="bigPhone">888-123-1234</p>

Then, the definition:

.bigPhone { text-align:center; font-size:1.8em; font-weight:bold; color:#fff; }

HOWEVER...(and here's the bad news), while using CSS improves portability between devices, its not as simple as just switching everything to CSS...you'd need to use a 'switched' template system or a responsive framework.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks for your reply Bruce! Do you do site reviews and quotes? I am thinking of handing this over to a pro. I would like to get my site squared away for Mobile and also get my SEO up to Par.
      Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

We had Miva build our mobile site and are very happy with it. Take a look at www.rvparksupplies.com on your phone to see the mobile site they created for us.
        Larry
        Larry
        Luce Kanun Web Design
        www.facebook.com/wajake41
        www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by wajake41 View Post
          We had Miva build our mobile site and are very happy with it. Take a look at www.rvparksupplies.com on your phone to see the mobile site they created for us.
          Larry
          Thanks Larry, works great and passed Google friendly Test! I am looking for someone to do SEO as well. I would also like to keep the same URL for my Mobile Site.

Thanks again!
          Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

Does Miva do SEO as well Larry?
            Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

Robert, Never have used them for SEO. It would be best to check with them.
              Larry
              Luce Kanun Web Design
              www.facebook.com/wajake41
              www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

The only SEO services we offer are on page changes (essentially if you have a list of work from a consultant you want us to do, or if you just want us to follow our normal checklist), but we don't do any on going SEO services.

Frankly I've never found one that I'd recommend.
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]
                https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks Larry and Rick!

Rick, I was just looking to have someone square my website away for SEO. Once I get it looking good then I would take over the seo so wasn't looking to have anyone monitor and tweak it on an on going basis. I was waiting for Bruce to chime in but now assume that he doesn't want to take it on. I was looking at Glendale Designs.

But if you cant recommend anyone then I don't know where to go and might not even consider having anyone do it as I tried one other time a few years ago with no results.

Thanks!
                  Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

I should clarify my statement, I've never found an independent SEO firm I'd recommend. If Glendale is doing something custom for you, I'd trust them.
                    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                    CEO
                    Miva, Inc.
                    [email protected]
                    https://www.miva.com

Comment

No they aren't doing anything for me at them moment. I just saw some posts of theirs. Thanks!
                      Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

Wouldn't switching to Bootstrap/ReadyTheme scenario provide a more responsive mobile site, and potentially better SEO due to an updated CSS approach? I had assumed that when I bring on our ReadyTheme site up it will do "better" on mobile SEO than the work Bill Weiland did a few years back to create our current mobile site. Then again, I might be totally wrong. :-)
                        Keith Oratz
                        PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
                        www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Thanks Keith! Looking into it now.
                          Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

Well there goes that idea, my store is MMUI.
                            Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Miva has tools for that transition... You really need to get your site into this century (ok, decade). :-(
                              Keith Oratz
                              PrepareSmart, LLC - Emergency Preparedness Supplies and Professional Grade Search and Rescue Gear
                              www.preparesmart.com

Comment

Working...
                              X