Product Sorting After Import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Sorting After Import

My question, is there a way to somehow retain their old product sort order when exporting from one store (the live store) to another (the dev store)? I suspect it would have to be done via MySQL, so has anyone accomplished this and if so, are their tips you can share to make it go more smoothly for us?

We have a client that is upgrading from MMUI v5 to CSSUI v9. The issue is their data. It's always been recommended to us that in these types of re-do's, importing data from scratch via the normal tools is the easiest way to go about this, and in almost all cases it has proven correct.

HOWEVER, we have a client now with a catalog of about 10,000 products, and about 200 categories, and they need their products to be sorted the exact same way they are on their currently live site, in the "now being developed" dev site.

Upon import, the sorting they've done manually over the years went bye-bye. We have the Sort Cats and Prods module, but sorting by "newest to oldest" isn't good enough. They say they really, really need to keep the sorting exact.
    Ted Hust
    AarcMediaGroup.com

Celebrating 13 Years of Outstanding Service & Support
    Miva Merchant Design

Re: Product Sorting After Import

Hi Ted -

The best way to do this is to import the product data directly via the database. The sort order of products within a category is stored in the CategoryXProduct table.

You'll need to bring over all the product related tables and make sure you update the s01_StoreKeys table with the latest store keys:

s01_Attributes
    s01_AttributeTemplateAttrs
    s01_AttributeTemplateOptions
    s01_AttributeTemplates
    s01_Categories
    s01_CategoryXProduct
    s01_Options
    s01_ProductImages
    s01_ProductKits
    s01_Products
    s01_ProductShippingMethod
    s01_ProductVariantParts
    s01_ProductVariantPricing
    s01_RelatedProducts
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

The sort order can be preserved by going into the product export utility and then choosing Miva Merchant XML Provisioning from the File Format option and then importing that xml file into the 9 store's 'Import Data and Settings in XML Provisioning Format' utility.
      Jim McCormick
      Miva Merchant Support
      866-284-9812

Comment

Jim, by default the XML file is set to <Product_Add>. Do I just change that to <Product_Update> to update them instead, and in the event I'm updating, will it re-sort based on this file, or will it only retain the sort upon importing fresh?
        Ted Hust
        AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

Ted,

I'm sorry but that will not work. Only on 'product create' will the display order be set as they appear in the file. You'll need to delete all of the products and then use the xml file to recreate them.
          Jim McCormick
          Miva Merchant Support
          866-284-9812

Comment

Jim, even with wiping the products totally from the admin, and re-importing them fresh with the XML 'product create' file, the sort order within the categories is completely lost on import still.

Is there any way at all to keep this sort order? It's killing me trying to figure it out.
            Ted Hust
            AarcMediaGroup.com

Miva Merchant Design

Comment

Originally posted by aarcmedia View Post
              Jim, even with wiping the products totally from the admin, and re-importing them fresh with the XML 'product create' file, the sort order within the categories is completely lost on import still.

Is there any way at all to keep this sort order? It's killing me trying to figure it out.
              Ted, I apologize. The xml file only retains the product sort under Products or Product List. It does nothing to the product listing for each category. For that you'll want to go with Brennan's previous post and migrate the database tables.
              Jim McCormick
              Miva Merchant Support
              866-284-9812

Comment

Working...
              X