UPS Shipping Weight/Box Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPS Shipping Weight/Box Question

In Miva 9, we are testing out the UPS module. Weights are in for our products but I am having trouble figuring out how many boxes will be used.

Here's essentially what I need to happen:
    We want to limit the weight of the box to 20 pounds. Once that happens have it add a box.

Under the Shipping Settings I added a test box and made the max weight 20.

Is that the correct way of doing it?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: UPS Shipping Weight/Box Question

Make sure you have the Pack by Weight module configured under Shipping Rules and then yes. For more info check the Reference Guide: www.miva.com/referenceguide
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Ok so it looks like the only option on that screen "Exclude Boxes Smaller than Product Dimensions" is checked.

I do not have dimensions for our products imported, only weights. I set the test box dimensions to be 1x1x1.

Is there a way to see how many boxes it is using or a token I can add to the dev site at checkout so I can see for sure? I am comparing rates side by side with ups.com and nothing is matching up for pricing. Use negotiated rates is unchecked.

Comment

I should mention that the rates match up exact when it is only one box. Once we jump to more than one box the rates are off significantly.

I don't know the logic in regards to how the site is "packing" the boxes but we did try changing weights on the boxes in UPS Worldship to see if we can get them to match up and no luck.

If we have our max box weight set to 20 pounds and the customers order is 23 pounds how does the site have the weight distributed in each box? We tried one at 20 and one at 3, then a test with each at 11.5 pounds.

Thanks again,
        Mike

Comment

Still trying to sort this out, does anyone know how Miva 9 calculates how the boxes will be packed if there is more than one box?

Total weight of shipment: 23 pounds

Box 1:?
          Box 2:?

I've tried all the scenarios that seem to be the most logical and the pricing does not match up to what Worldship is showing us. When it is one package it is dead on, more than one is off and could hurt us if the customer chooses any UPS Air options.

Thanks.

Comment

Are you figuring in the issue of dimensional weight for each box? That is what UPS will use to calculate your cost per box if the weight of the box is less than the dimensional weight. So if both boxes are the same size and both are under the dimensional weight, it won't matter what the actual weight is. I don't know if that helps or makes sense.
            Highly caffeinated
            http://www.coffeehouseexpress.com

Comment

I can add some clarity on how this works in Miva. First, if your products do not have dimensions, then under the Pack By Weight setting you need to have the "Exclude Boxes Smaller then Product Dimensions" unchecked. This will allow Miva to ignore the product dimensions and just pack your products in a default box up until it hits the 20lb Weight limit.

Miva will put as many products in the first box as possible until it reaches the 20lb limit. The actual weight of the first box will depend on the the weight of the individual products. If there are 18lbs of products currently in the box and the next product is 2lbs it will get added.

However if the next product was 5lbs, then the first box would be "complete" at 18lbs and a new box would be started with the 5lb product.

So the weight of each product depends on the weight of the individual products in the order.
              Brennan Heyde
              VP Product
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]

Comment

This is making my head hurt thinking about it :)

If I may just walk through this quick because I thought I followed it based on Ricks response but now maybe I am missing something.

1. For all of our products we did not add any dimensions, only weights.

2. I am shipping 23 items, each weighing 1 pound.

3. I created a "Test Box" 1x1x1 since we aren't using dimension for our products.

4. The "Test Box" Max weight is set to 20 pounds.

5. Based on that Box 1 should be 20 pounds and Box 2 should be 3 pounds.

6. Since the dimensional weight is less it should be calculating on the actual weight of 23 pounds.

Am I missing something?

Thanks again for the help,
                Mike

Comment

All that sounds correct. Make sure you have the setting Exclude Boxes Smaller then Product Dimensions" unchecked or else it won't find any boxes to use.

It should be calculating 2 boxes. One with a weight of 20lbs and a second one with a weight of 3 lbs.

If that still is not working, we can turn on some logging to capture the request/response from UPS.
                  Brennan Heyde
                  VP Product
                  Miva, Inc.
                  [email protected]

Comment

We were finally able to add weights to all of our products. Before we turn on the UPS module I would like a few days of testing the actual weights and box counts while we ship here to see how accurate they are and so we don't get burnt on any air packages.

I have three questions:
                    1. What is the token I can add to the merchant order confirmation that will display the total order shipment weight?

2. Because our products are so light I have our default weight set to ounces. Can I use toolkit or something else to do the math on the merchant order confirmation to convert ounces back to pounds for our shipping department to spot check?
                    Total Ounces / 16 = Total Pounds

3. For the "Test Box" I setup, is there a token I can add to the merchant order confirmation that will display the total number of boxes Miva wants to use to ship the order?

Thanks,
                    Mike

Comment

1. It should be &mvt:order:total_weight;

2. Yes you can do something like this:

Code:
                      <mvt:eval expr="l.settings:order:total_weight / 16" />
                      3. The number of boxes used is not currently available via the template language. You can get it by turning on logging and seeing what XML we are sending up to UPS but that process is somewhat technical.
                      Brennan Heyde
                      VP Product
                      Miva, Inc.
                      [email protected]

Comment

Thanks Brennan!

Bare with me, I added the code below but it comes over as 00 when I resend the confirmation to myself from orders this morning. Wasn't sure if that won't work because I have the code wrong or because it needs to be calculated at the time of the actual order.

Total Shipping Weight: <mvt:eval expr="l.settings:order:total_weight / 16" />&mvt:order:total_weight;<br />

Comment

Sorry about that, It looks like that variable is only available in the basket contents not the order contents. You can get around that by saving it to a custom order field:

1. Under Utilities create new custom order field with a code of "total_weight"

2. Then on OPAY add this:

Code:
                          <mvt:item name="customfields" param="Write_Basket( 'total_weight', l.settings:basket:total_weight )" />
                          3. Then anywhere you want to display your order total weight (INVC or emails) add this code:

Code:
                          <mvt:item name="customfields" param="Read_Order( g.order:id, 'total_weight', g.total_weight )" />
                          Weight: &mvte:global:total_weight;
                          Brennan Heyde
                          VP Product
                          Miva, Inc.
                          [email protected]

Comment

With that new code on what page should I convert that now from ounces to pounds? This is what you gave me prior:
                            <mvt:eval expr="l.settings:order:total_weight / 16" />

I assume I needed to add the item "customfields" to all the OPAY and INVC pages.

Weights will start to be calculated on the new orders, not on any old ones?

Sorry for all the questions, this is very helpful fixing all of our surcharge issues with UPS.

Thanks again,
                            Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X