Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions regarding gyphs/icons/symbols.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regarding gyphs/icons/symbols.

Question:
    • How are icons displayed on MIVA's new templates (e.g.: Suivant, etc...), via CSS image sprites, UI Fonts, etc...? It seems to me CSS image sprites would be the most effective method with only one http call.
    • Which icon is most commonly used to represent items on; sale, discount and/or special promotions?
    • Which icon is most commonly used to represent items; New, New Arrival, Just In, etc...?

I searched online and could not find the answer those icons. Can any of these be used http://getbootstrap.com/components/
    Thank you, Bill Davis

Re: Questions regarding gyphs/icons/symbols.

It uses both images and CSS. Icons used across various stores are really dependent upon the store's overall design.

If you right click any of these elements in Chrome or Firefox, you can select "Inspect Element" and it will show you what is used.
    Best,
    Pamela

Consultant / Developer / Trainer
    Contributing Editor to Practical Ecommerce
    Author of the Official Guides for Miva Merchant
    pamelahazelton.com

Comment

Thanks, "Inspect Element" that is a great tip!

How about my last two questions?
      Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Originally posted by William Davis View Post
        Thanks, "Inspect Element" that is a great tip!

How about my last two questions?
        As I said, it's all dependent upon the store's overall design.
        Best,
        Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

While icon fonts are great for icons that represent things that should be common "help", "more info", etc...I'd create my own images for things like "on sale" "new" etc to make the site less "cookie cutter" and set it apart from other sites.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
            While icon fonts are great for icons that represent things that should be common "help", "more info", etc...I'd create my own images for things like "on sale" "new" etc to make the site less "cookie cutter" and set it apart from other sites.
            I understand, but I am having a hard time coming up with a visual representating, for savings the only thing I can think of is a pig with a dollar sign, but for new arrival the only thing that comes to mind is a stork with a baby but I don't want that for our site. Can you think of anything?
            Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

I think using the words Sale and New work best...seriously. I don't think there is a 'symbol' that translates well for these.
              Bruce Golub
              Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
                I think using the words Sale and New work best...seriously. I don't think there is a 'symbol' that translates well for these.
                Agreed. Keep the image focus on your product images. A nice, clean font on a single-color background works wonders.
                Best,
                Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

I agree with both of you, I was just thinking it might have been easier to display on smaller screens.
                  Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Working...
                  X