Miva hosting email limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miva hosting email limit

Miva permits email boxes to store up to 300MB of mail. Once the limit is reached mail is returned to sender. Is there a way to send notifications to mailbox owners as they begin to approach their limit? The way this works now is by not seeing any mail come in, then digging around to figure out why. With businesses to run, no one can afford to have their emails returned to sender. I was told by support that any notification would have to be set at the server level if at all, so it is outside our control. And we don't have much need to use the hosting control panel very often to keep watch on something like this. How can this be fixed?
    Barry

Re: Miva hosting email limit

I'm not sure what they do on the server side, but I assume you're using IMAP? I have run into issues with other servers as well. Here's what I do:

1. Always archive locally any email that no longer needs to be accessed remotely (i.e. via my phone when out of the office).

2. Log into the mail server at least once a week to "purge" all messages marked as deleted. This is key, because on many mail servers, sending a "delete" from the email box only flags it.

3. For emails with big attachments, once I've saved it, I strip the attachments from the message.
    Best,
    Pamela

Consultant / Developer / Trainer
    Contributing Editor to Practical Ecommerce
    Author of the Official Guides for Miva Merchant
    pamelahazelton.com

Comment

I also recommend using a different provider for email hosting (generally I recommend Google Apps). Email is a beast to host well, spam filtering is a nightmare and these days most of our competitors don't even include email with their online store offerings.

If you want to use IMAP and store lots of email, then I think there's no better choice than Google Apps for Your Business (that's actually it's name).
      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
      CEO
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]
      https://www.miva.com

Comment

Also, make sure your email client has a "delete message after X days" set to something like 10 or at least 24 days.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will follow up on all of the above. Pamela, I am not sure how to login to the Miva mail server and purge deleted messages, other than deleting anything in the trash via webmail.

Barry
          Barry

Comment

Originally posted by willough View Post
            Thanks all for the suggestions. I will follow up on all of the above. Pamela, I am not sure how to login to the Miva mail server and purge deleted messages, other than deleting anything in the trash via webmail.

Barry
            That would be it. Some webmail systems call it "purge deleted" and others store the messages in a trash can that you empty. You're doing that part right. :-)
            Best,
            Pamela

Consultant / Developer / Trainer
            Contributing Editor to Practical Ecommerce
            Author of the Official Guides for Miva Merchant
            pamelahazelton.com

Comment

Working...
            X