Image Machine / Resizing & Compression Quality Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image Machine / Resizing & Compression Quality Issues

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue we've noticed recently when we switched over to using the image & attribute machine functionality. When we upload a full size image of say, 1200 pixels wide, Miva generates our smaller images as 80px, 620px, and 800px. But the detail quality on these smaller images is distorted and we are getting a significant moire effect on the fabric colors. When we manually resize images in Photoshop we do not get this issue. I've checked to make sure we are using GD Library version 2 to exclude any server issues (from a forum post I read), and I've tested the domain settings --> image quality settings of 100% and 90% without any effect.

Is there something we can do to eliminate the distortion? It's really pronounced on some of the lighter fabrics as noted on this bag: http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0906.html - see Coyote/Steel, Burnt Orange/Steel, Steel/Wasabi etc.

The larger zoom images look ok but anything below 800 or the original image is wacked.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Joe McDonald
    patrickwebby.com

Re: Image Machine / Resizing & Compression Quality Issues

Look on product page and under Main Image and make sure your settings are right. If you resize to fit within bounding box make sure your images are made in your image program within that bounding size, or they would scale wrong. If no constraints, they sized what you made them to be. Also worth looking at is most image programs once image saved is compressed. If compressed, say 80%, then you have miva set to for it's images say at 80%, your image once all said and done was compressed 40%. Hope this may help. Good luck
    Last edited by Datagg; 06-16-15, 12:45 PM.
    Dan

Girlfriends Lingerie - "Keeping It Sexy!"
    Sexy Lingerie - Twitter - Facebook- Pinterest - YouTube

Comment

Joe I looked at that image and the scale (dimensions) look right.. I would look at your image program and see if the save is compressing, then look at your miva image settings and see if ultimately you are compressing to much. check to make sure your Main Image resize bounding box is set right also. if you are using that based on your main large image it should be set at 620x413

PS. Nice site by the way.
      Last edited by Datagg; 06-16-15, 12:56 PM.
      Dan

Comment

Hey Dan, thanks for the assistance. I went through and confirmed my settings. I had it set to "Resize to fit within bounding box:" with 620 x 620 pixels. Assuming that it would just resize the image proportionally keeping the longest side at 620px. I changed this setting to the exact scale of the image, so 620 x 413 pixels. Then deleted and regenerated resized images - No change to the image and it still looks distorted.

Here are two images below. One on the left is the original image scaled down to 620x413 in Photoshop. One on the right is the exact same image uploaded to Miva and resized to 620x413 via the image machine. You can see the moire effect and clear distortion. That is using 100% image quality across the board.

Makes me think something with the GD processor configuration on the server is doing it's own wacky thing? I don't typically see this on other sites but I'm thinking the complexity of the fabric colors is making this issue visible.

Joe McDonald
        patrickwebby.com

Comment

That is odd... Thing is i just here took your large image and reduced it proportionally to the size 620 X 413 and viewed in real time and I can see that effect also. Reducing size a integer at a time seemed to make it worse the lower it got... very odd effect. I think your right, that fabric weave kinda does an optical illusion sorta thing. Perhaps try for the heck of it using .png just to see if it does the same thing. But from here it lessons with less re-sizing.
          Dan

Comment

Working...
          X