� ” " find and replace offending characters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

� ” " find and replace offending characters

Sometimes the guys here cut and paste descriptive text from catalogs without checking and invariably I get problem encoding - usually with quotes other than " such as which results in .

Is there an easy way for me to search for these so I can replace them? Right now I spot them by accident when I'm doing other things.
    Last edited by habreu; 06-16-15, 02:49 PM.

Re: � ” " find and replace offending characters

Note the context of offending characters. Export the products to a text file. Open that file in a TEXT EDITOR and search for the context markers. You should then see a " (sort of, it might be a block, or bunch of weird characters, etc). Copy the characters and paste into the search of Search and Replace. Repeat for other characters. If you use a developers Text Editor, you should be able to make a macro of common offenders.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Re: � ” " find and replace offending characters

The following query run against your store's database will give you a list of product codes that have non-ascii characters:

SELECT code FROM s01_Products WHERE descrip <> CONVERT(descrip USING ASCII);

If you're hosted with us, our support staff can do this for you if needed.
      David Hubbard
      CIO
      Miva
      [email protected]
      http://www.miva.com

Comment

Re: � ” &quot; find and replace offending characters

Thank you both for the information.

@Bruce OT: I actually tried to use the Template GPS search text feature (which is very useful) but it is two character minimum so didn't work. You might consider adding a checkbox for 1 character (with the warning that it might slow down the search) and either search in 10 page bites - with option to continue or cancel in case you want to abort because it is too slow; or perhaps with filters to search only within certain pages (i.e. search only products/header).

@David: I will try this and contact support if I have issues - thanks for this.

Comment

Working...
        X