Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Payment Gateway Roadblock- only using First Data LEGACY gateway - should warn us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment Gateway Roadblock- only using First Data LEGACY gateway - should warn us

- or better yet - update to within two years ago. Please explain why the only first data gateway offered is one that is an entire version behind the latest, and dates back probably over 2 years.

We conferenced miva support with first data to confirm that we should select the first data orbital gateway. First data advised us that we had to either use orbital gateway E4 or their new payeasy. Miva advised us that they only provided the legacy (first data's word) gateway.

I was told that there were some technical issues a couple of years ago that kept miva from updating to E4 then.

My biggest problem, besides the jam I'm in, is that I had been working to move this big client to pinnacle the last 18 months as miva just didn't accommodate all the responsive/graphics stuff they did. I missed the miva 9 announcements from late oct (family tragedy took me out of the loop), only finding out about it after we ran into a problem with pinnacle over just the opposite issue. We were using chase for processing, and were using a legacy system. Pinnacle was only certified and offering the newest versions. We got into a bit tiff over their not working with pinnacle and visa versa to work it out (both agreed they were fine with us paying for it). I was also getting upset with pinnalcle over their having all the fields in the product records to handle dimensional shipping and then finding out they didn’t. Even their support staff said they ‘d talked to the marketing folks about removing those fields until they did.

With the change in dimensional shipping to include ground delivery this year, I was certain that pinnacle would have caught up, and called them in mid-Jan as I was coming out of the family issue and refocusing on this move from miva. No, they had no change in that. I decided to look at others that were, and discovered to my surprise that Miva was. I took a closer look at things and read about the light year jump from miva 5.5 to miva 9 and then cssui. After reevaluating miva versus pinnacle, I had a stiff drink and called the site owner to tell him that after all the work we’d done on moving to pinnacle, I was recommending we stay with miva. Fortunately, most of the work was in preparing new graphics that we can now use in miva (and better). It was also spent on 6000 truly customized keyword oriented urls that, while they would not work in miva without a module, I was told that one was available for about $200-$300. I was also told that there was an automated routine to create 301 redirects from the old miva urls to the new seo friendly ones – something that took me 100 hours to do with a miva store that I moved to pinnacle 2 years ago that was 1/5 the size. Lastly, that I’ll mention here, miva provided for a user defined report for enterprise customers (which we are), that would let us add the payment tokens to the order batch download – something we were going to have to pay pinnacle $3500 to do for us. I just mention these so you’ll understand why the owner didn’t just pull the trigger first, but let me explain, and he finally agreed that it sounded good.

Until today.

So after months of negotiating our credit card processing deal and switching to first data just last week, as we are about to add the gateway to start testing, we find that the first data orbital gateway offered is so old that we can’t use it unless we can get them to switch to their legacy system (which I don’t want). Why would I want to connect my new miva store to a credit card gateway that they don’t want users to use anymore?

Miva should put a warning on the first data orbital gateway clearly indicating that it was for those before the E4 and ezpay – Make sure you can get on the legacy processing before selecting miva.

Pinnacle should put a warning on the description they use to describe shipping features to warn everyone that they are going to get killed by not being able to let customers know even remotely how much their package shipping will be. Example – a 1 pound hat sent by anything but ground (like any international order), ships at a 10 lb rate. Without dimensional shipping they see the 1 lb price.

How much does a customer have to know about a technology vendor before we can sign up without fear of a debilitating surprise? Especially a consultant like myself who is making the recommendations?

I’m apologize for behind so verbose. Just trying to describe the irony going from miva to pinnacle and then back to miva to find such an issue. Does anyone know anything of miva’s plans regarding the orbital gateway E4 and ezpay?

Re: Payment Gateway Roadblock- only using First Data LEGACY gateway - should warn us

We have no intention of updating the First Data Gateway, it's one of our least used (and least popular) gateways in the market. We'll most likely deprecate this one when they do and no longer support them.

Orbital is fully up to date and will stay that way (as will Authorize.net, PayFlow Link and Pro, Cybersource and Intuit).

We have no plans to support EZPay.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Re: Payment Gateway Roadblock- only using First Data LEGACY gateway - should warn us

First Data doesn't own the Orbital Gateway, that's Chase Paymentech.
      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
      CEO
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]

Comment

I was told that there were some technical issues a couple of years ago that kept miva from updating to E4 then.
        This is also not true. We updated to the First Data Gateway we have at First Data's behest, only for them to release E4 a few months later without warning us. It left a VERY bad taste in our mouth, since we had just put hundreds of hours into their Gateway.

There are no technical hurdles to supporting it, it's simply a lack of demand in the market why we've chosen to not support it thus far.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]

Comment

Likewise, I spent weeks on a credit card processing deal that I could have/might have done differently if it had been clear what your position on First Data is. How is the bad taste in my mouth less important than yours. I will admit to writing my post with more emotion than I might, as I'd just found this out and did not know if I was about to be derailed because of it. I don't think it's asking too much for you to make a clear note about your position on first data. Why would you not? It would not have kept us from coming back/staying with miva - just had me change my weighting of issues determining which processing vendor we'd go with.

In the meantime, it looks like first data will let us use their legacy system, so things, I assume will be okay for now. Will this have a negative effect at somewhere down the line? Should we start an early search for another processor? From a technology standpoint, or as a pure partner, do you have any recommendations we might consider that will keep us in sync with miva's future plans.

Thanks for your response.
          David Hart

Comment

David,

I'm glad your issue got worked out and I hope by my reply you understand that we're happy to share our thinking on this. I'm not sure where else we'd post this that anyone would read and/or pay attention to, but I do understand your desire to know this before you waste your time.
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]

Comment

Working...
            X