Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are not getting confirmation emails

We have been getting the following error on INVC:
    'One or more notification emails could not be sent at this time: 5.7.8 Error: authentication
    failed: One time use of a plaintext password will enable requested mechanism for user '

Since this is happening to our customers, we do not know if this happens every time or occasionally.

I was able to reproduce it this morning, then I spoke with Miva support and support said they fixed it by removing wajake41 from our MAIL SETTINGS. I then went to admin and the MAIL SETTINGS still had wajake41. I cleared the field and updated the page. After update the field still had wajake41 in it.
    I am skeptical that support has fixed our problem although I was able to receive the emails on an order entered by myself after the fix by support.
    Anyone else experienced missing confirmations and what was the solution?
    Thanks, Larry
    Last edited by wajake41; 06-24-15, 06:03 AM.
    Larry
    Luce Kanun Web Design
    www.facebook.com/wajake41
    www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Re: We are not getting confirmation emails

That error occurs when authentication is enabled and invalid credentials are specified. It it will not let you turn authentication off and remove the values specified, that would be a bug we'll need to get our developers to look at, but we can probably delete the value on the database side to make it go away to solve the immediate issue. Support probably did remove it and didn't realize that it had come back when it should not have.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

David: I don't understand from your response what I need to do, but I'd sure like to have this fixed! How can I do that?

BTW Our two other sites have the same value in this field. Is there a problem with them too.

Thanks, Larry
      Larry
      Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

If there is a value in the email username field of anything other than an entire email address, then it is wrong, because our servers accept nothing but an entire email address for smtp authentication. If the server name is set to anything other than localhost, then authentication is likely required, if it's set to localhost, then authentication is not required and the values should be left blank.

So the two solutions are:

1) If it's set to something other than localhost, put the correct credentials in; entire email address and appropriate password.
        2) If it's set to localhost, remove authentication. If the values cannot be made to stay blank after trying to remove the data, then our developers would need to be made aware of that, so you should ask in your ticket that the values be cleared in the database directly and have a bug filed for the issue.
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]

Comment

Hi David:
          Server name = localhost but username cannot be set to blank. Same issue on all 3 of our sites.
          I'll open a ticket. I hope support knows what to do to fix this.
          Thanks, Larry
          Larry
          Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Larry, I logged into my test store, added a username and password to the Domain Settings -> Mail User and Mail Password boxes, saved, it kept (although password intentionally just shows blank after one has been set), then I came back, eliminated the username, leaving just localhost set as the server name, updated, that kept. I left the screen and came back and the username did not return. Perhaps your browser is auto filling?

I'm testing on Merchant 9.0003 and using Chrome 43.0.2357 on Mac.
            David Hubbard
            CIO
            Miva
            [email protected]

Comment

David:
              I logged into admin on Chrome. Found mail user to be blank. All is well
              Thanks for your help!
              Larry
              Larry
              Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

So I think I know how this happened. A week or so ago, using IE11, I went to domain setting to update our basket timeout setting. Apparently IE auto filled the mail user when the domain setting page was displayed. And when I update the domain settings page to commit my basket timeout change, the mail user and mail user password fields were also updated.
                A real gotcha!
                Larry
                Last edited by wajake41; 06-24-15, 08:48 AM.
                Larry
                Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

I'll talk to dev about renaming those fields; it's probably the html field name that makes the browser think it should help you out by auto filling there.
                  David Hubbard
                  CIO
                  Miva
                  [email protected]

Comment

Wow! I've got to say that I'm impressed that you are even considering doing that!
                    All I can say is: I love Hostasaurus!!!

Larry
                    Larry
                    Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Yea, I would have told you to just stop using crap like IE...seriously though...fine to have while testing but friends don't let friends use IE.
                      Bruce Golub
                      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Bruce, it's hard to break bad habits ;) Time for an intervention I suppose.
                        Larry
                        Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Working...
                        X