Pagespeed, cache and ETag in hosting environment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagespeed, cache and ETag in hosting environment

I hope this is the right forum for SEO optimising question. Excuse me If I use wrong forum for my thread.

I received a reprimand from Google. They recommend me to use Etag, compression and configure Cache for CSS and banners.
    They are specially critical about MMUI css and Mail-Chimps css-. Shops css I will fix with a ready theme. but how do i go abbout cache and stuff.

I want to do something like this, but where do I put it
    Cache-Control: no-transform,no-store,public,max-age=300,s-maxage=900
    Date: Mon, 22 June 2015 16:38:15 GMT
    Last-Modified: Mon, 22 June 2015 22:44:54 GMT
    Expires: Mon, 29 Aug 2015 21:44:55 GMT
    Vary: User-Agent
    X-Cache: HIT
    Pragma: no-cache

ETag: "bbea5db7e1785119a7f94fdd504c546e"

If I had my own Appache server I would make somethiong like this in -htaccess file:

<IfModule mod_expires.c>

ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 year"

</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_expires.c>

ExpiresActive On

ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 week"

ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"

ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"

</IfModule>

Where should I start to optimise my cache in hosted environment?

Best summer wishes from Stockholm

André Loutchko

Re: Pagespeed, cache and ETag in hosting environment

You should be able to make those changes in your site's .htaccess file; it doesn't require you to have your own server, it will work even on shared hosting accounts. I would not recommend those default directives though; if you set your site to have a default expires value of one year, and even a week to a month on specific files, then when you make changes to those files, it could take a very long time for repeat visitors to see the changes. For example, you wouldn't want to accidentally make a mistake in your css file that causes the site to not display correctly, then everyone who visits before you correct it sees your site incorrectly for a week. I think you can make Google happy with it set to even a couple days.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Just as another voice in the wilderness, I've heard even setting the expire for 60 minutes is adequate and allows for customers to see timely updates.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks David and Bruce for your input. I will test it right away with 1-2 days values and reload Pagespeed app for evaluation.

Comment

Yes. 1-2 days and 1 hour as values were a good advice. I did a a bit of cleaning and optimizing css and js. Putting scripts in the footer gave good results.
          PC pagespeed from 66/100 to 78 points
          Mobile from 53/100 to 64.
          pagespeed78pDAtor.JPG

The rest like responsive fonts and small CSS will be fixed when we move to ReadyTheme later in the summer.
          Life is good!

Comment

Working...
          X