Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deleting Development Stores: DIY? Or have support do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleting Development Stores: DIY? Or have support do it?

Just wondering if it is ok for me to now go ahead and delete my development stores myself (since I am over my disk space limit), or whether it is encouraged that tech support does it.

If I do it myself, I am guessing just go into the subdomains folder and look for the dev folders and delete the contents, then go into plesk and delete the databases for those development stores, right?

anything else that needs to be done?

thanks in advance.
    Mark Romero
    ~~~~~~~~

Re: Deleting Development Stores: DIY? Or have support do it?

You don't need to worry about the httpdocs files; when you remove the subdomain in Plesk those will go with it. What does need manual cleanup will be a folder in /private named after the subdomain, so typically you'd have /private/mivadata (live site) and /private/dev/mivadata (dev site).

Regarding databases, before cleaning the above up or deleting the subdomain, it's critical that you check your live site's /private/mivadata/merchdb.dat file to find the name of the database that the store is using. Customers who have gone through a cycle of live site, dev site, dev site swapped with live site, etc. often have their live site running on a database whose name may sound like it is attached to a dev site. For example, let's say your live store is domain_mm5 and you request a dev site setup; we'd call that domain_dev. Later on, you have us flip the dev site live, so now your live store is running on domain_dev and domain_mm5 is no longer in use. If you delete the wrong one, there goes your store. :-)
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Thank you, David:

Hmm... for my live store, it was an mmui2cssui conversion.

Exact Copy mmui live store to dev store
      run mmui2cssui on dev store
      apply framework on dev store
      run mmui2cssui on LIVE store
      import framework from DEV store into LIVE store
      Shebang! Done.

So in theory, it should be using the original database, right?

(Just to reiterate, I did not have miva "flip" the dev store to the live store.)

Thanks again.
      Mark Romero
      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yep, that should be correct, but never hurts to check the merchdb.dat file to confirm; it's just a text file so you can open it with anything.
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]
        http://www.miva.com

Comment

Also, I believe its like what, 40 bucks to have support do it? Heck, even we don't do that stuff ourselves and we know what we are doing (for the most part). Its just not worth the time.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
          X