Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 10

More adventures with Windows10:
    On boot this morning, Norton popped up an install dialog for their 10 version. Np way to exit it except a remind me later link. Clicked that, then tried to open Windows Live mail, it doesn't start, just get a spinner and eventually it times out. Next tried to start Chrome from the task bar, nothing happens. It's inoperable. Safari still works, Wonder what will happen tomorrow? :(
    Last edited by wajake41; 08-03-15, 06:59 AM.
    Larry
    Luce Kanun Web Design
    www.facebook.com/wajake41
    www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Problem was caused by Norton. No option but to install Norton for Windows 10 from Comcast. Windows Live mail and Chrome now OK. Not happy to have Norton forced on me :(
      Larry
      Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Glad you got all sorted out... Norton is crap. Uninstall that crap from add remove programs, then download this removal tool and run after as Norton hides itself all over the place like cancer. https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us

I hate bundled software, usually there a custom instal options to alleviate such issues and bloatware.. At the end of the day, Norton, McAfee are crap plain and simple. Glad you got things working better for ya Larry. Windows 10 is really a great OS!
        Dan

Girlfriends Lingerie - "Keeping It Sexy!"
        Sexy Lingerie - Twitter - Facebook- Pinterest - YouTube

Comment

I think I've gotten Norton removed! Uninstalled it and ran the removal tool. However I'm still getting reminders from Norton that I need to install it. Hope that goes away eventually
          Thanks for you help on this Dan
          Larry
          Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Am happy to discover just now that my IE11 in included in Windows 10 and has all of my favorites. :)
            Larry
            Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Followup on last week:

I've now upgraded all but one PC; for some reason one PC won't complete.

Compatibility with existing programs seems to be very high. I have not found any programs that would not work, and only one situation (out of hundreds) where I had to 'reregister' a component.

It is fast, maybe even a little faster than Windows 7.

It is safe to do the upgrade because it will create a System Restore point, if there are any errors it will roll you back automatically. If you discover an issue you can't work around, you have 1 month in which to roll back manually.

IE > Edge. The new Edge browser is the most anti-skeuomorphic UI I have seen yet. Lots of white on white! Good: Active X plugins are no more, removing the biggest security hole of all. Bad: it doesn't seem totally solid yet, so I wouldn't use it for dev work for months (if ever, I use Chrome).

Relearning curve: I think this is going to be the big love/hate area. Either you will enjoy relearning some techniques that are now different (but probably faster), or you will curse Microsoft for 'forcing' you to do a bunch of relearning. So far I think this is less of an issue than in previous upgrades. YMMV.
              Gordon Currie
              Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
              phosphormedia.com

Comment

Update: Norton is back again after I thought I had purged it. Windows Live Mail & Chrome not working. Norton, what a piece of s..t!!
                Larry
                Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Working...
                X