Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10

Soooo, just curious if anyone has taken the Nestea plunge and upgraded to Windows 10, even if on a non-production machine. I am usually the type that will wait for the early adopters to find all the bugs. :-)

Re: Windows 10

I've upgraded two non-critical Win 8.1 machines. It went quickly and there were no problems. Big improvement overall.

OTOH, I am holding off on two Win 7 machines as I use them daily.

I think there is going to be more of a relearning with Windows 7 > Windows 10 than going from Windows 8.x.
    Gordon Currie
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Gordon,

Do you have Miva Mia running on those machines you upgraded to Win 10? Same question with the compiler.

Scott
      Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
      Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
      MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
      Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
      AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
      My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Originally posted by ids View Post
        Gordon,

Do you have Miva Mia running on those machines you upgraded to Win 10? Same question with the compiler.

Scott
        I don't use Miva Mia since it is too much of a PITA to set up MySQL for it. I have no desire to spend any more time working with MivaSQL.

I do have the compiler installed, and lo and behold - I'm getting an error compiling known good code. Will have to investigate.

EDIT: It was pilot error. I was missing a couple of .bat files on the machine in question. The compiler works fine.
        Last edited by Gordon - Phosphor Media; 07-30-15, 01:14 PM.
        Gordon Currie

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

I installed Windows10 from Win 7 Pro on a not critical 5 year old machine last night. FTP program (WS_FTP 12 LE) and HTML editor (Rapid PHP 2015) work fine. Windows Live is OK. Web sites on Edge look OK.
          Trying to get comfortable with Edge, it's going to take a bit of learning.
          Machine seems as fast or possibly a bit faster after upgrade. Boot takes a while.
          Download took about 30 minutes, install was done overnight.
          Waiting for awhile until I do my development machine.
          Last edited by wajake41; 07-31-15, 09:37 PM.
          Larry
          Luce Kanun Web Design
          www.facebook.com/wajake41
          www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Update on Windows10: Received a warning from Norton that my Win7 version was not compatible with 10, Did the suggested download and install of Norton 360.
            Result: Edge, Chrome & FF became unusable. All would open, but as soon as I type a W into the search field, the browser closed. Other characters could not be typed into the search field.
            Went to uninstall Norton and during uninstall, Norton asked for feedback as to why. I really wanted to respond but found in the feedback form I could not enter any data into form's <input type=text fields (radio buttons did work however).
            Gave up attempting to tell Norton what I though of their product and completed the uninstall. All three browsers now work.
            Larry
            Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

I just saw a great Facebook post related to this.

"Hi,kids! I'm Bill Gates, and I'm here to teach you how to count to 10:

1, 2, 3, 95, 98, 2000, 7, 8, 10."
              Last edited by Kent Multer; 08-02-15, 03:06 AM.
              Kent Multer
              Magic Metal Productions
              http://TheMagicM.com
              * Web developer/designer
              * E-commerce and Miva
              * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

FYI (which you might NOW know). Never use Norton or MacAffee systems. They are worse than the spam/bloat/malware they supposedly block.

kaspersky, Malwarebytes, and even native Windows tools are vastly superior and don't F up your system.

(Oh, you might check to see if Norton is completely gone from your system. Check Google. There used to be a tool that would actually remove it.)
                Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                phosphormedia.com

Comment

Hi Bruce:
                  Thanks for the advice. I've been using the Norton version provided by Comcast.
                  I used the Windows10 uninstall and it looks like Norton is gone. This is what Microsoft has to say about Windows10 security:
                  "What Anti-Virus should I install for Windows 10 Technical Preview?
                  You don't need to install any Anti-Virus program, because you already have one which is Windows Defender. It protects you against Virus, Worm, Trojan, Spyware, Adware and other malicious programs same as what Microsoft Security Essentials is doing in Windows Vista and Windows 7."

More on this from MS:
                  Will my Antivirus be compatible with Windows 10?
                  Most likely not. Windows 10 will require that you have a version of your Antivirus that is designed for Windows 10. It is recommended that you uninstall your current Antivirus before installing the upgrade. If you have a subscription that has not expired, contact the developer to find out about Windows 10 support. Most Antivirus utilities should be upgraded by the time Windows 10 launches. If your subscription is still active, then you should be entitled to a compatible update for Windows 10.

Is Windows Defender adequate?
                  Just wondering.
                  Last edited by wajake41; 08-02-15, 12:54 PM.
                  Larry
                  Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Don't really have an opinion...all my MS Fan Boys (i do live in seattle) say Windows Defender is great. Personally I use MalwareBytes and have for years.
                    Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Webroot Secure here.. Works fantastic. FYI, Friends don't let friends use Norton or McAfee.
                      Dan

Girlfriends Lingerie - "Keeping It Sexy!"
                      Sexy Lingerie - Twitter - Facebook- Pinterest - YouTube

Comment

View source issue with EDGE:
                        I right click a web page and choose view source, a chime sounds but no source is displayed. Right clicking again does not present the right click dialog and no chime is sounded. Refreshing the page and right clicking does not display the dialog and no chime is sounded.

Also could not close the browser tab, clicking on the X produces a chime but did not close the tab, responding to close all tabs does nothing. Had to go to task manager to shut down EDGE.

Anyone else experiencing this and what is the solution?
                        Thanks,
                        Last edited by wajake41; 08-02-15, 03:39 PM.
                        Larry
                        Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by wajake41 View Post
                          View source issue with EDGE:
                          I right click a web page and choose view source, a chime sounds but no source is displayed. Right clicking again does not present the right click dialog and no chime is sounded. Refreshing the page and right clicking does not display the dialog and no chime is sounded.
                          Anyone else experiencing this and what is the solution?
                          Thanks,
                          Larry this has been a reported issue by many including myself in the insider program. This happened in previous builds also and slipped by when it went public unfortunately. I have not found a workaround for it yet. Saying that I choose to use chrome and FF over edge especially until these bugs get addressed.
                          Last edited by Datagg; 08-02-15, 03:39 PM.
                          Dan

Comment

Dan, no other choice that I can see.
                            Larry
                            Luce Kanun Web Design

Comment

Your correct Larry, I had to task out not only in public build but previous builds also. I just use FF and chrome and keep filing bug reports on edge and this issue. Hopefully they get it ironed out soon.
                              Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X