Question: Price Group and Availability Group / Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Price Group and Availability Group / Conundrum

I have a bit of a dilemna in which I found the wholesale price group I created would not work for all of the products in a store because of a difference in quantity/pricing in retail versus wholesale for one category of products. So, I am looking for some input. Below are the details:

My client has a store up and running. It services both retail and wholesale.

Retail customers get to purchase all products, but at the retail prices, of course.

Wholesale customers are already assigned to a price group and all products, since even if the product is not offerred at a wholesale price, they can still purchase it at retail price if they want it.

Wholesale prices are setup to display on the category and product pages using a strike-though on the retail price with the wholesale price displaying thereafter. [Graphic below.]

wholesale-pricing.jpg

To show wholesale customer their pricing and the difference in retail to wholesale pricing, I have the following on the PROD Page template >> Product Display Layout, plus the Display Predicted Discounts checked:

Code:
    	<div class="product-price">
    			Price: 
    			<span id="price-value-additional" style="text-decoration: line-through"><mvt:if expr="l.settings:product:base_price GT l.settings:product:price">&mvt:product:formatted_base_price;</mvt:if></span> 
    			<span id="price-value" class="bold">&mvt:product:formatted_price;</span>

<div id="product-discounts">
    			<mvt:foreach iterator="discount" array="product:discounts">
    				<div class="product-discount">&mvt:discount:descrip;: &mvt:discount:formatted_discount;</div>
    			</mvt:foreach>
    		</div>
    	</div>

In similar fashion, I carried that formatting/price display to the CTGY page.

This is all working great, except for one category of products. The issue is that the retail price is lower than the wholesale price for that one category of products, so the price group will not work for that category of products. The simple reason that the retail price is less than the wholesale price is that retail purchases get one of the item for $1.00, while the wholesale customer gets a pack of 12 of that one item for $2.40.

So, what I am thinking I need to do is unassign those products for the Price Group, and then create an Availability Group. Then, assign the same wholesale customers to that Availability Group, and assign those products or that category to the Availability Group, while at the same time indicating that those products are packs of 12 for the price of $2.40.

The site owner would then just assign anyone that applies for wholesale status to both the wholesale group and to that new availabilty group at the same time. Then the category of products would be displayed to the wholesale customers seamlessly...along with the other wholesale products/categories.

My questions:

1. Will this work?

2. Will I need to re-create those products to get them to display with the "pack of 12" with the new price of $2.40?

3. How do I keep those new pack of 12 products from showing to retail customers, or will that happen because of the Availability Group? I am thinking that is how that will work by default when using the Availability Group.

3. Do you think this will be seamless for the wholesale customers, which are also going to be in the Availability Group?

4. Am I far off base or do you think there is a better way to do what I want?

Any input/ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie
    Jamie Donaldson
    JSDVS Web Design / Development
    Web Design | Web Development | E-commerce Design & Integration

Re: Question: Price Group and Availability Group / Conundrum

Here I go again with my own private thread, answering my own questions.

So...my answers to my questions:

Originally posted by jsdva View Post
    1. Will this work?
    Answer: Yep.

2. Will I need to re-create those products to get them to display with the "pack of 12" with the new price of $2.40?
    Answer: Yep. As far as I can tell, I see no other way, and no one has piped up yet to tell me otherwise.

3. How do I keep those new pack of 12 products from showing to retail customers, or will that happen because of the Availability Group? I am thinking that is how that will work by default when using the Availability Group.
    Answer: Yep. That is the default apparently...at least that is how it worked.

3. Do you think this will be seamless for the wholesale customers, which are also going to be in the Availability Group?
    Answer: So, sue me....I have two threes. But...Yep, seamless.

4. Am I far off base or do you think there is a better way to do what I want?
    Answer: Apparently not off base. Better way?....no clue, since I haven't heard of a better way from anyone yet. I did try the volume pricing as explained here: http://extranet.miva.com/forums/show...tions-With-MM9, but I didn't like that method for this client/situation/instance.

Well, it's been nice talking to me, but perhaps this will help someone else, so...it was worth the time and the one-sided conversation.

Jamie
    Last edited by jsdva; 08-05-15, 09:15 AM. Reason: delete un-needed
    Jamie Donaldson

Comment

I think you have answered your own questions well - I too have had to setup some wholesale sites and I believe your way is the best way. I had to use availability and price groups to make it all work properly. You might, like you said, be able to setup volume pricing, but I think it will be easier to setup a different set of products and use the availability group to show/hide what you need.

Comment

Thank you for your reply afiumano! It is indeed appreciated to have someone confirm that the way I resolved the dilemma was the proper path for them too.

It's also nice not to talk to just myself [grin]

Jamie
        Last edited by jsdva; 08-06-15, 06:15 AM. Reason: addition
        Jamie Donaldson

Comment

Working...
        X