• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing META Descriptions and META Keywords

Miva Merchant 9.0004
    MivaScript Engine v5.22
    Database API: mysql

Prior to 9.0004 we established the category META keywords and META description at the bottom of the category page and used a custom field for the <Title> and those parameters showed up under the meta name and meta description when viewing the source for a page.

After upgrading to 9.0004 those two category META fields (description and keywords) moved under the new SEO section and the contents of the fields went with them (that is good).

Now when viewing the source for a category page in the store, only the custom Title shows up and the META description and META keywords fields are missing from the page. Of course those fields are populated under the new SEO section for the category but don't show up in the HTML when visiting that category page in any browser.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by joseibarra; 08-05-15, 01:09 AM.

Re: Missing META Descriptions and META Keywords

Hi, this bit of code from HEAD tag content is responsible for the display of those fields,

Code:
    <mvt:if expr="NOT ISNULL l.settings:product:metafield:keywords">
        <meta name="keywords" content="&mvt:product:metafield:keywords;" />
    <mvt:elseif expr="NOT ISNULL l.settings:category:metafield:keywords">
        <meta name="keywords" content="&mvt:category:metafield:keywords;" />
    <mvt:else>
        <meta name="keywords" content="SEO: META KEYWORDS" />
    </mvt:if>
    <mvt:if expr="NOT ISNULL l.settings:product:metafield:description">
        <meta name="description" content="&mvt:product:metafield:description;" />
    <mvt:elseif expr="NOT ISNULL l.settings:category:metafield:description">
        <meta name="description" content="&mvt:category:metafield:description;" />
    <mvt:else>
        <meta name="description" content="SEO: META DESCRIPTION" />
    </mvt:if>
    Do you have it in place ?
    Rajnish Sinha
    ---------------------
    https://twitter.com/rajnishsi

Comment

No I don't and that looks like it makes sense, but it was not there before the upgrade and it worked then.

If I need to add that after the upgrade, how would I know that is what I needed to do?

And if I need to add that to the HEAD tag after the upgrade, where is the list of other things I need to do after the upgrade?

Comment

I copied/pasted that code into the HEAD tag and what I see in the page source (like a category page) right before the closing </head> is:

<meta name="keywords" content="SEO: META KEYWORDS" />
        <meta name="description" content="SEO: META DESCRIPTION" />
        </head>

So Miva "sees" the code but is not recognizing the category has those fields populated.

I thought I might need to assign some items to the CTGY and PROD pages but what would that be or am I off track about that.

I still don't understand how we would know that we needed to make this adjustment after the upgrade... and what other adjustments we need to make that we don't know about.

Comment

Hi, You'd need to add this line to your HEAD tag content : <mvt:item name="prodctgy_meta" param="combined" /> as specifed here : http://www.miva.com/mm9.4_template_changes.html

Also, that item would need to be assigned to all the pages where you want those tags (A little too obvious, but just make sure that.)
          Rajnish Sinha
          ---------------------

Comment

Thanks - we are waiting for Miva Support to fix a problem that comes up when clicking the Items tab on a Page.

I see that page of template changes and where it says to add that one line to the HEAD tag content.

Do I need to add those other lines too and if so, why are then not in the list of template changes?

Comment

What other lines you are referring to?
              Rajnish Sinha
              ---------------------

Comment

We are still having a Miva Admin issue that Miva Support is hopefully looking into.

When they report that issue is resolved I will have more to report.

Comment

Working...
                X