Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miva Modules for Development Site

Hi,
    I purchased/updated modules for my MIVA store after going from MMUI to CSSUI and had to refund them because it didn't work as expected. I have a development site to test but will have to buy modules to run test. Rather not do returns if they can provide a trial period for development site.

I think Miva should allow us to test modules on our development site before we purchase. This will reduce the returns. Providing a development site for us should also include modules to test.

You want to test modules first to make sure it works, but you need to buy license for development site. I only care to buy licenses for my live site. I found with the new updates for MIVA9, some of these modules don't work like it did before the updates. You never want to test modules on live site, but at the same time you don't want to buy for development store.

Sure, you can avoid issues if you can pay $125/hr or more for a MIVA expert. We don't have big pockets to spend thousands of dollars for experts, so I have to upgrade and update the whole store. A recognized company actually quoted me $250,000. I got another quote for $100,000 and that was from a friend. Even if I had the money, I will do it myself and keep the money :) Our business took a big hit after 2012 and trying to save where I can. Obama's policies??? Not sure...Just have to get business back.

I think module sales will increase as well if they allow us to test first before buying. It is like a week trail for testing. After that, they can discontinue the license. This is how software companies sale their software. We don't buy the full license unless we wish to continue use.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
    KD
    Last edited by howsimple; 09-02-15, 07:25 AM.

Re: Miva Modules for Development Site

Well, first, Miva doesn't set pricing/licensing policies for third party modules.

Second, we've ALWAYS had a very straight forward policy of EASY REFUNDS. You ask, we refund.

Third, 'trail' licensing adds significant complexity to any licensing system (save, one that is not really a licensing system :) ). Also, not everyone uses a development server and 'detecting' that (since it looks like a regular store to the module) can be less than accurate.

That being said, we are considering this very thing. We already allow you to use any purchased module on a dev site as well as the live site.

Finally, I don't know who your 'friends' are :), but 100K for Miva Upgrade? For that, we'd build you something that just about did everything Amazon did. (I think our most expensive site development from the ground up in recent years was like 20K.)
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Hi Bruce,

Most of my modules are from Emporium Plus. Would have been nice if they can offer on dev. site. I contacted Bill, but he sold his modules to MIVA. I had approximately 30-40 modules we had to test from different developers. Didn't want to upgrade all of them, which was suggested because I keep getting errors. I believe you only have 30 days as well. Correct me if I am wrong. I only upgraded the ones I really needed to work.

Also, I am referring to modules MIVA now own, like Emporium plus. Not your modules which you own. However, would be nice if you can offer for dev. site.

Yes, I used your module on a dev. site that went live. I need it back on a dev. site to continue testing with my script.js file. You asked for an additional $30 to add on my dev. site. I don't expect you to offer a lic. for dev. site. That would have been fine. I was referring to modules MIVA own. If they don't own it, they have little control. I can understand that.

In regards to the cost of hiring a company, I was referring to the whole rebuild. They didn't use MIVA. This included 3,000-4,000 images, which I know takes forever. Crazy data entry as well to transfer all products. I worked 18-20 hours everyday for 7 months now and still not done. Everything is bigger now and we had small images. They also did SEO. I paid an SEO company $10,000 per month some years ago, so I know it can get expensive after adding up all the cost.

Hey, if I can save a buck, that is an extra buck.

KD
      Last edited by howsimple; 09-02-15, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Please note I am only making suggestions to MIVA. In regards to their customer service, MIVA got ranked #1 compared to other shopping carts. Been with MIVA for nearly 15 years and they are very respectful every time I call.

Comment

[QUOTE=howsimple;436168]Hi Bruce,

Also, I am referring to modules MIVA now own, like Emporium plus. Not your modules which you own. However, would be nice if you can offer for dev. site.

Yes, I used your module on a dev. site that went live. I need it back on a dev. site to continue testing with my script.js file. You asked for an additional $30 to add on my dev. site. I don't expect you to offer a lic. for dev. site. That would have been fine. I was referring to modules MIVA own. If they don't own it, they have little control. I can understand that.
          [/qoute]

For at over a year or so, you could always use any of our modules on a dev site along with a licensed copy, so not sure what your exact issue was where we'd be asking for money for a dev site license.

In regards to the cost of hiring a company, I was referring to the whole rebuild. They didn't use MIVA. This included 3,000-4,000 images, which I know takes forever. Crazy data entry as well to transfer all products. I worked 18-20 hours everyday for 7 months now and still not done. Everything is bigger now and we had small images. They also did SEO. I paid an SEO company $10,000 per month some years ago, so I know it can get expensive after adding up all the cost.
          We'll, for 50K we'll do a site in the cart of your choice :) (though we won't guarantee it will be as good as MIVA)

Hey, if I can save a buck, that is an extra buck.
          KD
          With all due respect, it doesn't appear that you are saving even pennies. If you are spending even 10 hours a day for 7 months, that's over 15,000 HOURS (we are giving you weekends). Our most expensive conversion was around 10K, so you've worked for $1.50 per hour. I'd like to believe that you could have made more than that doing something else.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Sorry Bruce, I got you mixed up with another module. Great to know you offer for dev. site.
            Last edited by howsimple; 09-03-15, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Emporium Plus allowed you to use the modules in a dev. subdomain under the main domain they were licensed to as long as the store code remained the same as the original store code.
              Bill Weiland - Emporium Plus http://www.emporiumplus.com/store.mvc
              Online Documentation http://www.emporiumplus.com/tk3/v3/doc.htm
              Question http://www.emporiumplus.com/mivamodu...vc?Screen=SPTS
              Facebook http://www.facebook.com/EmporiumPlus
              Twitter http://twitter.com/emporiumplus

Comment

Hi,

The information I am getting now is new to me. I called MIVA support earlier after Bruce responded to this post. Looks like MIVA do offer the modules for testing. When I was working on my development site early this year, I asked if I can install the module for testing on my dev site and was told to upgrade. Perhaps, I wasn't clear with MIVA or they decided to allow it now. In any case, glad MIVA allows us to test modules.

Thanks!
                KD
                Last edited by howsimple; 09-03-15, 03:48 AM.

Comment

The Emporium Plus modules were able to be used in the dev subdomain, but the version would have been the version you already had in the main domain. The update cost was minimal. You did not need to update on a dev first. Updates were typically done in the live stores as most stores don't use/have a dev subdomain. I'm not sure what feature was NOT in a newer version that you felt you needed to roll back an update except for those dealing with the password encryption. Many modules did not need to be updated when Miva9 came out as the features were incorporated in the core system. You could ask Miva folks or people in this forum if a built in feature negates the need for a particular 3rd party module so there was no need to update all 30 of your modules.
                  Bill Weiland - Emporium Plus http://www.emporiumplus.com/store.mvc
                  Online Documentation http://www.emporiumplus.com/tk3/v3/doc.htm
                  Question http://www.emporiumplus.com/mivamodu...vc?Screen=SPTS
                  Facebook http://www.facebook.com/EmporiumPlus
                  Twitter http://twitter.com/emporiumplus

Comment

Working...
                  X