Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding products to a Price Group

Two fisted question here:
    1. Can products be imported into a price group's list of discounted products? I don't immediately find that capability

2. See below . . .

I'm in a situation in which it would be useful for me to add (or remove!) a product to a price group, specifically its list of Discounted Products, dynamically by checking it against a custom field.

There's a toolkit function pgroup-p that lets me save a variable for the price group IDs that a product is assigned to. I'd like to check that variable against a custom field, and if it tests false then add the product to the price group.

Something like this:
    Create variable for product's price groups > Check custom field, is it one of the price groups? > If yes, do nothing > If no, add it to the Price Group X

Failing that, could the toolkit SMTP function instead initiate an email alert for something like "product in wrong price group"?
    Last edited by Mark Stephens; 09-02-15, 10:45 AM.

Re: Adding products to a Price Group

A little more info, we routinely run several promotions at a time for different sets of products, while on some other products we provide volume discounts. So I have price groups set up for all these instances.

I've discovered how easy it is for a product or two or three to get mistakenly placed in the wrong price group or - more likely - not removed from a particular price group (such as Volume Discount) when it goes on promotion and needs to reflect a different volume discount while on sale.

So I think setting up a custom field for "Promotion Type" is my answer. Set the custom field, and let the PROD page do the nitty gritty work of keeping products in the right price groups and out of the wrong ones.

Comment

1. Only via XML currently.

2. I get what your trying to do. I think a long term fix would be for us to add a tab on the product edit screen to display all the price groups a product is assign to (as a discounted product). This would allow you to easily view/add/remove price group assignments from a single screen.

You may be able to use toolkit to do part of what you need. The pgroup-p function will give you all the price groups a product is in. I don't think you can insert a product into a group via toolkit though.
      Brennan Heyde
      VP Product
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]
      https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Brennan. No, cannot insert using toolkit. That was partly why I asked about import instead -- I could make do with that if the software would let me. If I knew more about XML I'd try that, however I'd rather be running our business than learning more code.

If my problem of products landing in the wrong price group persists, I think I can do a combination of toolkit functions and a my custom field idea to at least get the Toolkit SMTP function to alert me if a product is not placed in the right price group. We do after all rotate promotions on a monthly basis and it can happen if we're not careful enough. Perhaps we just need to be more careful.

I like your long term fix idea though!

Comment

I spoke with our development team and they are going to add this in to Miva as a feature in an upcoming release, likely 9.0005
          Brennan Heyde
          VP Product
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]
          https://www.miva.com

Comment

Working...
          X