Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

noncompliance fee coming to a MMUI store near you soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noncompliance fee coming to a MMUI store near you soon?

Hello Miva:
    Found this policy statement recently. Please comment on the rationality of it.
    "As Miva has evolved, we’ve built a unique, hybrid Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) platform that
    allows our customers to retain the control and independence of distributed
    software, while having the easy upgrades we’ve all come to expect from SaaS
    platforms. It’s time we refine and formalize our policies on when software is
    officially EOL (End of Life), and update our Non-Compliance Fee (NCF) policies
    accordingly.

Most Software-as-a-Service platforms don’t give you a choice when it comes to
    upgrades – you simply login one day and your platform has been upgraded for you,
    whether you like it or not, and whether it negatively impacts your business or
    not.

Miva has chosen a different path. While providing the type of seamless upgrades and updates people
    have come to expect from Software-as-a-Service, we don’t force you to upgrade
    before you’re ready. The downside to this path is that, often times, people will
    choose to run out-of-date software; and in this day and age, it’s simply not a
    wise, safe or prudent choice to run out-of-date software.

We specifically created and use the Non-Compliance Fee program as an economic incentive program
    to encourage people to update their stores regularly.

For example, in my opinion, it is simply not safe to run any version of Miva Merchant prior to 5.5
    Production Release 8 Update 7 (which was released on October 16, 2012, over two
    and a half years ago), yet we still have many customers who choose to run Miva
    Merchant 5.5 PR8 Update 6 or older (including people still running 2.x stores,
    which was released way back in 1999).

Going forward, Miva Merchant software will be considered EOL (End of Life) when either
    of these 2 circumstances are met:

Software has been officially Non-Compliant due to normal software releases, from
    the perspective of PCI software updates, for more than 12 Months. In other
    words, 15 months after the release of a new update, software will officially
    become EOL.

or
    Software that is Non-Compliant due to a security release, from the perspective
    of PCI software updates, for more than 3 months. In other words, if we mark an
    update as a security-focused update, per the terms of PCI compliance, older
    software will be considered EOL 4 months after the security update is
    released.

What
    impact does Miva marking a product as End of Life have on you, the
    merchant?

First and foremost, it means we will not, under any circumstances, release a patch, update
    or upgrade for that version. The most common use cases would be either an API
    change by a provider (say for example USPS changes its rating API, we will not
    be releasing an updated USPS module to work on any EOL version of Miva
    Merchant).

Second, when there are system-level security changes (such as POODLE in 2014), we will not be
    releasing a patch or engine upgrade to keep EOL software fully operational on
    modern Operating Systems.

Non-Compliance Fee program changes:
    Currently, we have
    a varied Non-Compliance Fee program that means you pay a different fee depending
    on if you’re hosted by a third party or directly with us; and, if you’re hosted
    with us, your fee varies based on the plan you have.

Going forward, we’re standardizing our Non-Compliance Fee program to a flat rate program. Your
    NCF will be $50 per month, if you’re running Non-Compliant but non-EOL’d
    software; or, it will be $100 per month, if you’re running Non-Compliant and
    EOL’d software."
    Last edited by wajake41; 09-07-15, 04:41 PM.
    Larry
    Luce Kanun Web Design
    www.facebook.com/wajake41
    www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Re: noncompliance fee coming to a MMUI store near you soon?

I dunno...looks pretty clear to me. I wish every License/Policy Agreement was this clear. Heck, I wish just ONE Federal or State law was this straightforward and clear.

But, I'll render it in my own charming wit :)

"It basically saving you from yourself. Running out-dated eCommerce software is bad risk that HAS NO upsides. (You may think it does...but it doesn't. You may think you need to run Merchant2 cause you've got some other equally as old software running along side it...but that's just doing two wrong things.)"
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

This policy has nothing to do with MMUI vs CSSUI. It's running out of date software or not.

The only way it'll hit MMUI is if we get to a point where for some technical reason we have to push out an update that's not possible to install on MMUI.

We don't foresee this today, but that's the problem with running old stuff you don't foresee the issues until they hit (think POODLE).

So you should move to CSSUI as soon as you can prudently do it, but we have no specific intention of charging an NCF like fee for running MMUI.

NCF/EOL fees are our compromise since we don't force upgrade you (like our pure SaaS competitors) to make sure you keep up to date.
      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
      CEO
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]
      https://www.miva.com

Comment

Rick, Thanks for the reassurance on the non compliance fees. I hope that can be postponed for as long as possible (i.e. until after our retirement). I thought the charges were imminent.

Going from MMUI to CSSUI is not a small thing in our case. My understanding is the conversion tool essentially moves your MMUI files to a barebones CSSUI site without including any customization. All customization would have to then be applied. Might be easy for some but not for us.

And Bruce there's an old saying that I follow as much as possible. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Just my opinion though.
        Last edited by wajake41; 09-08-15, 04:54 PM.
        Larry
        Luce Kanun Web Design
        www.facebook.com/wajake41
        www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by wajake41 View Post
          And Bruce there's an old saying that I follow as much as possible. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" Just my opinion though.
          Oh, I agree with that statement 100%--the issue is, software that is EOL, or even "aged" is, by definition: broke. That Lotus 240S may still be running fine, but its not going to beat a new Maclaren F1. Businesses are races. It's silly IMO, to try to win with outdated equipment. :)
          Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by wajake41 View Post
            While there is some wisdom in that saying, I'm sure glad our distant ancestors did not think that way all the time. We'd all still be living in caves and foraging for food!
            Gordon Currie

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

Getting slightly less esoteric, it's worth noting you can no longer install MMUI on new stores and should not build any new stores on MMUI.
              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
              CEO
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]
              https://www.miva.com

Comment

Working...
              X