Sales Tax for particular products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales Tax for particular products?

I was asked to add sales tax just to just our flooring products (due to where they are shipped from). Is there a way to just tag the category or specific products i.e. Flooring - 8.05%
    Last edited by habreu; 09-11-15, 01:51 PM.

Re: Sales Tax for particular products?

You each product has a taxable flag, just turn those ones on and configure it.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

I don't understand this very well as I don't normally handle the sales end of things but let me try ... currently all products have taxable flag set. Up until now we only charged tax in California (our origin) if it is shipped to a destination in California. Anything shipped from California to another state was not charged tax. Now the flooring products are shipping from the supplier in Texas to destinations all over the US and I was told those orders need to be charged tax. If I add Texas to the state list then anyone ordering from our California warehouse, any product (including those originating in California shipped to a Texas destination) is charged tax. What I was asked is that those flooring orders, which are 6 specific products originating in Texas, be charged tax but items that ship from California to Texas should not be taxed. Hope that makes sense.

If it does then my thought so far is that maybe I could use the EmporiumPlus Miscellaneous Fee module, and find a way to check if those items are in the basket, then put conditional code to replace the 'Sales Tax' line (which would by 0.00 unless it was a California to California order) with the Miscellaneous Fee code which I would simply label 'Sales Tax'. I haven't tried that module yet but the description makes me think I could do something like this.
      Last edited by habreu; 09-14-15, 07:33 AM.

Comment

That's different than your original post, so I'm not personally sure how to do that. I assumed you weren't collecting any tax today, then just turn on the flag for the products you want.

For mixed Nexus, you might need something like Avalara or Accurate Tax.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]
        https://www.miva.com

Comment

I'll look into those - thank you.

Comment

We use a custom module developed for us by Kent Multer to charge the correct sales tax on items shipped to the state in which we operate. It's a pretty simple approach and is working well for us. This is a link to the work request that Kent responded to: http://extranet.miva.com/forums/show...tCharges-table
            Possibly this approach might work for you?

On the other hand, if you could calculate the sales tax amount when OSEL is rendered (do you have the rate for each product in a custom product field?), possibly you could pass that amount via a hidden field when OSEL is submitted. I suspect the module that Kent created for us could be modified to not calculate tax on the entire basket as it does for us, but instead use the tax amount it gets from that hidden field and post it to the basket charges table as sales tax.
            just thinking out loud.
            Last edited by wajake41; 09-14-15, 02:07 PM.
            Larry
            Luce Kanun Web Design
            www.facebook.com/wajake41
            www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

Originally posted by wajake41 View Post
              We use a custom module developed for us by Kent Multer to charge the correct sales tax on items shipped to the state in which we operate. It's a pretty simple approach and is working well for us. This is a link to the work request that Kent responded to: http://extranet.miva.com/forums/show...tCharges-table
              Possibly this approach might work for you?

On the other hand, if you could calculate the sales tax amount when OSEL is rendered (do you have the rate for each product in a custom product field?), possibly you could pass that amount via a hidden field when OSEL is submitted. I suspect the module that Kent created for us could be modified to not calculate tax on the entire basket as it does for us, but instead use the tax amount it gets from that hidden field and post it to the basket charges table as sales tax.
              just thinking out loud.

I signed up to give the AccurateTax module a try before I saw your response - guess I was moving faster than my usual Monday grind. I'll keep the link to this post in case it doesn't work out as expected. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.
              Last edited by habreu; 09-14-15, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X