Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Sales Tax and Price/Availaility Groups

I'm hoping for some advice/hints/tips on how to handle this situation:

A client has a website with both retail and wholesale customers. The wholesale customers are assigned to a price group as well as an availability group. They want to charge tax on the retail customers purchases, but they do not want to charge tax for the wholesale customers purchases.

They are only taxing the retail customers based on the website's/company's home state, which at this time is all they are required by law to do.

I don't know how others handle wholesale and tax, but I'd be happy to hear.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie
    Jamie Donaldson
    JSDVS Web Design / Development
    Web Design | Web Development | E-commerce Design & Integration

Re: State Sales Tax and Price/Availaility Groups

This module should do what you need. You can tie it to an availability group and anyone who is in that group will not be charged sales tax:

http://apps.miva.com/b2b-tax-exempt.html
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brennan View Post
      This module should do what you need. You can tie it to an availability group and anyone who is in that group will not be charged sales tax:

http://apps.miva.com/b2b-tax-exempt.html
      Thank you Brennan! Will that module allow the client to tie in both the price group as well as the availability group, since wholesale customers are in both of those groups?

Jamie
      Jamie Donaldson

Comment

I believe it only uses the availability group settings, so as long as the customer is part of that group they won't be charged tax.
        Brennan Heyde
        VP Product
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]

Comment

Okay, that leaves out the price group. Anything for that?

Jamie
          Jamie Donaldson

Comment

Not sure If I follow, why would you need both?

The idea would be you create a tax exempt price group and add all the customers you want to be tax exempt to that group.
            Brennan Heyde
            VP Product
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Brennan View Post
              Not sure If I follow, why would you need both?

The idea would be you create a tax exempt price group and add all the customers you want to be tax exempt to that group.
              Ahhhhhh! [light bulb!] So customers are assigned to that tax exempt price group, and the module says that they are tax exempt, regardless of whatever other price group they are in.

Jamie
              Jamie Donaldson

Comment

Hey Brennan,

One more question on this module: The module's lightbox image show Prompt During Checkout, Customer Login IDs, and Availability Group on the module settings. So, I can just use the Availability Group setting and skip the Prompt During Checkout and Customer Login ID settings, correct? Just want to be sure.

Side Note Question: Bill always had installation instruction readily available, which may help answer this question, plus it always helped me in choosing modules. Wondered if Miva would consider putting installation instructions in on the modules in the Miva app store?

Thanks,

Jamie
                Jamie Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by jsdva View Post
                  ...So, I can just use the Availability Group setting and skip the Prompt During Checkout and Customer Login ID settings, correct?...

...Wondered if Miva would consider putting installation instructions in on the modules in the Miva app store?...
                  Okay, I found instructions after some Google searching: http://www.emporiumplus.com/v5/b2bnotax.htm

Those installation instructions say:

31) If you enter anything in the customer login or availability group inputs, the option to exempt tax will not be shown to customers not in the list or not in the availability group. If they are in the customer list or in the availability group, they will see the prompt and can enter their tax ID. In the case of customer login, the tax ID will be pre-filled in. The availability group customer will need to fill in their tax ID unless you check the box to hide the input if in the availability group.

So, to again answer my own question:

Apparently, I can just use the Availability Group and skip the Prompt During Checkout and Customer Login ID.

Tax ID entry can also be required or not, depending on how the module is configured. By using Availability Group and using the checkbox to hide the input for the tax ID that step, for the customer, can be eliminated.

Easy...the instructions told me what I needed to know.

Jamie
                  Jamie Donaldson

Comment

Working...
                  X