Google URL Parmaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google URL Parmaters

So, I am going through Google Webmaster Tools. In many Cases, Google thinks that these two are different Links:

https://www.widgetsupply.com/mm5/mer...&Store_Code=WS
    https://www.widgetsupply.com/product/SAA4-GB.html

and is saying that they have the same Meta Description, which of course they do. I was thinking I could use Google URL Parameters to clean up the situation. Would it be safe to tell Google to crawl no URL's that have Screen in the name?

I do have Canonical Links like:
    <link rel="canonical" href="https://www.widgetsupply.com/category/brush.html" />
    So they should know it is the same page, but....
    Thank you,
    John

Re: Google URL Parmaters

I'm curious why Google would even find the old url? Is there a chance you have page templates that require updating to use the short style url's in their links? Such as a search page, category pagination, etc.?

I'd want to fix the above issue if it exists, but then going forward, I think you'd be better off redirecting long links to short:

Code:
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/mm5/merchant.mvc
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} Screen=PROD&Product_Code=(.*)&Store_Code=WS [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.widgetsupply.com/product/%1.html? [R=301,L]
    Last edited by ILoveHostasaurus; 09-24-15, 12:14 PM.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

I did a rollover to Suivant, so I don't think there should be any old page template code, but...

I do use PowerSearch, but I had the design team do the work. How do I find out if I have that issue? I think it might be that Google just keeps links forever somehow.
      Thank you,
      John

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post
        I'm curious why Google would even find the old url? Is there a chance you have page templates that require updating to use the short style url's in their links? Such as a search page, category pagination, etc.?

I'd want to fix the above issue if it exists, but then going forward, I think you'd be better off redirecting long links to short:

Code:
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/mm5/merchant.mvc
        RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} Screen=PROD&Product_Code=(.*)&Store_Code=WS [NC]
        RewriteRule ^(.$*) https://www.widgetsupply.com/product/%1.html [R=301,L]
        I tried this and it crashes when I try to open one of the long links:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
        More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Web Server at widgetsupply.com
        Thank you,
        John

Comment

I already have some of the same code. I had just put your code at the bottom. Here is my .htaccess code:

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml application/x-javascript text/css

Order Allow,Deny
          Allow from all
          Deny from 91.217.90.77
          ###Deny from 168.62.105.142 <<-- Microsoft Corporation IP address###

#Secure entire website
          RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} !443
          RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.widgetsupply.com/$1 [R,L]

#RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^$
          #RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\. [NC]
          #RewriteCond %{HTTPS}s ^on(s)|
          #RewriteRule ^ http%1://www.%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [R=301,L]

### Begin - Inserted by Miva Merchant

DirectoryIndex /mm5/merchant.mvc

RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^mm5/admin.mvc? - [QSA,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-s
          RewriteRule ^product/([^/.]+).html$ /mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code=$1 [QSA,L]

RewriteRule ^category/([^/.]+).html$ /mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_code=$1 [QSA,L]

RewriteRule ^product/([^/]+)/([^/.]+).html$ /mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Category_code=$1&Product_ code=$2 [QSA,L]

RewriteRule ^([^/.]+).html$ /mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=$1 [QSA,L]

### End - Inserted by Miva Merchant

### Page-Speed code

<IfModule mod_expires.c>
          # Enable expirations
          ExpiresActive On
          # Default directive
          ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 month"
          # My favicon
          ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year”
          # Images
          ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month"
          ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month"
          ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month"
          ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month"
          # CSS
          ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month”
          # Javascript
          ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 year"
          </IfModule>

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
          <FilesMatch ".(js|css|html|htm|php|xml|gif|jpg|jpeg|png)$" >
          SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
          </FilesMatch>
          </IfModule>

RewriteRule ^product/([^/]+)/([^/.]+).html$ /product/$2.html [R=301,L]

RewriteRule ^page/([^/]+)/PROD/([^/]+)$ /product/$2.html [R=301,L]

RewriteRule ^page/([^/]+)/CTGY/([^/]+)$ /category/$2.html [R=301,L]

RewriteRule ^page/([^/]+)/PROD/([^/]+)/([^/]+)$ /product/$3.html [R=301,L]

RewriteRule ^page/([^/]+)/([^/]+)$ /$2.html [R=301,L]
          Last edited by widgetsupply; 09-23-15, 10:52 AM.
          Thank you,
          John

Comment

I had a $ in the wrong place. I corrected my original post. This code should go below RewriteEngine on, but should otherwise be above any other rewrites related to short links because the redirect needs to occur first.
            David Hubbard
            CIO
            Miva
            [email protected]

Comment

@widgetsupplies

IMHO

Probably not necessary to gzip the image files as they are already compressed. They will take longer to process and may actually look worse. And I think you already compress the text based files in your first line of code.

I hope that helps.
              http://www.alphabetsigns.com/

Comment

I had a $ in the wrong place. I corrected my original post. This code should go below RewriteEngine on, but should otherwise be above any other rewrites related to short links because the redirect needs to occur first.
                Still doesn't work, but it doesn't crash short links as well. Now I get:

Forbidden

You do not have permission to access this document.
                Web Server at widgetsupply.com

Actually, It tried to load(this was in the address bar):
                https://www.widgetsupply.com/product...&Store_Code=WS
                Last edited by widgetsupply; 09-23-15, 02:06 PM.
                Thank you,
                John

Comment

Originally posted by alphabet View Post
                  @widgetsupplies

IMHO

Probably not necessary to gzip the image files as they are already compressed. They will take longer to process and may actually look worse. And I think you already compress the text based files in your first line of code.

I hope that helps.
                  Google PageSpeed says I should compress them more. Like:

It doesn't make sense to me.
                  Thank you,
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by widgetsupply View Post
                    Google PageSpeed says I should compress them more. Like:

It doesn't make sense to me.
                    Rafael is working on your ticket regarding the rewrites.

Regarding the images, that is correct that you should definitely not be instructing the server to use mod_deflate on them to compress them further; it will not produce a smaller file 99% of the time. The compression algorithm used by the module is designed to be heavily biased towards speed and lower cpu consumption over final size, while the images of type png and jpg use compression designed to achieve a smaller size without regard for processing requirements, since it would normally only be done once. That being the case, the compression mod_deflate will apply will almost never produce an amount of data smaller than the original file, unless you're putting 99 quality uncompressed jpegs on the server, but that's not likely the case.

Google is using some algorithm that says, for an image with X resolution, we expect an average file size of Y before visible degradation would occur. Obviously, there are diminishing returns in how much time you spend on this, and I certainly wouldn't focus on rebuilding a file that must be pretty small to begin with if they only think you should be able to save one kilobyte of size. You may want to just load your graphics directory, sort by size, and ensure images that don't need to be displayed larger than typical web size are all under 100k, which is typically sufficient for any web content that won't get sent to print at larger than what is displayed in the page.
                    David Hubbard
                    CIO
                    Miva
                    [email protected]

Comment

Google PageSpeed Insights is a tool.

But we are of course making our sites for users and not tools.

The more you compress your images for the tool then the more visually degraded the image looks for your users.

If you look at and compress your images (quality 60 for example) before you upload them to the server then they are already compressed and don't need to be gzipped by a server directive in the htaccess. While you can repeatedly recompress image files the savings are not worth the server time.

So while its worth looking at the images per Google's tool, it is better to resave an optimized image to the server then to recompress it in the htaccess.

Comment

Rafael is working on your ticket regarding the rewrites.

Regarding the images, that is correct that you should definitely not be instructing the server to use mod_deflate on them to compress them further; it will not produce a smaller file 99% of the time. The compression algorithm used by the module is designed to be heavily biased towards speed and lower cpu consumption over final size, while the images of type png and jpg use compression designed to achieve a smaller size without regard for processing requirements, since it would normally only be done once. That being the case, the compression mod_deflate will apply will almost never produce an amount of data smaller than the original file, unless you're putting 99 quality uncompressed jpegs on the server, but that's not likely the case.

Google is using some algorithm that says, for an image with X resolution, we expect an average file size of Y before visible degradation would occur. Obviously, there are diminishing returns in how much time you spend on this, and I certainly wouldn't focus on rebuilding a file that must be pretty small to begin with if they only think you should be able to save one kilobyte of size. You may want to just load your graphics directory, sort by size, and ensure images that don't need to be displayed larger than typical web size are all under 100k, which is typically sufficient for any web content that won't get sent to print at larger than what is displayed in the page.
                        I had the design club work on improving my Google Page speed and one part of that was this:
                        <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
                        SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
                        </FilesMatch>
                        </IfModule>

Should I just remove the gif|jpg|jpeg|png or comment it all out?
                        Thank you,
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by widgetsupply View Post
                          I had the design club work on improving my Google Page speed and one part of that was this:
                          <IfModule mod_deflate.c>
                          SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
                          </FilesMatch>
                          </IfModule>

Should I just remove the gif|jpg|jpeg|png or comment it all out?
                          Correct, just remove those four images so it ends with xml)
                          David Hubbard
                          CIO
                          Miva
                          [email protected]

Comment

How about the first line as well?

And what's with the Ukraine? ;)

Comment

Working...