USPS how to set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USPS how to set up

Is there a tutorial on how to set up USPS for miva. Seems simple, but it isn't working - not returning rates as if it is not even in there. Any template changes, items on OSEL??
    Suzanne

__________________________________________________ _______

aGenius Marketing
    800-768-2693
    Web Design & e-Commerce

Re: USPS how to set up

When I was testing USPS, looking to get away from our dependency on UPS, I did not need to make any template changes or add any items to any pages. Once the module was active I set it up per the "To Create a U.S.P.S. Web Tools Account" section of the miva Reference Guide. Steps to set up start on page 376 of the latest Reference Guide (08-30-2015).

Initially I couldn't get module working at you describe but noticed I had an old USPS username entered into the module. Once I corrected it with the new Web Tools Account username the module began working. Of course you need to have some USPS shipping methods selected. To get certain methods to show up in your cart you have to have boxes configured which are no larger than the real world box dimensions.

For example, I couldn't get Small Flat Rate to show up because the smallest box I had configured on the Boxes tab was 8x8x8 while the Small Flat Rate box is about 8x6x2. Once I created a smaller box that method started showing up.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think I may have read your previous post about boxes, sizes etc and did implement that. I'll take another look at it and the documentation. Miva support is telling me I have to call USPS to get it to go onto their production server, so I guess I will try that as well. For anyone else looking I found the reference guide here https://www.miva.com/pdf/MivaV9_03-20-15.pdf page 338.
      Suzanne

aGenius Marketing
      800-768-2693
      Web Design & e-Commerce

Comment

Although the miva Reference Guide says you need to contact USPS I did not have to. In my original Web Tools confirmation email from USPS, they said:

Your User ID is currently authorized to access the following groups of APIs in production:
        - Price Calculators
        - Package Tracking
        - Service Standards and Commitments
        - Address Information (see below for usage restrictions)

When I encountered the problems you describe (not returning any rates) I even emailed USPS to see if perhaps some permissions weren't set up on my USPS account and they assured me they were already set up. In my case once I fixed my username things started working. Once I fixed my boxes things started working even better. I assume you have weights set up for your products?

Comment

Originally posted by dachenbach View Post
          Although the miva Reference Guide says you need to contact USPS I did not have to. In my original Web Tools confirmation email from USPS, they said:

Your User ID is currently authorized to access the following groups of APIs in production:
          - Price Calculators
          - Package Tracking
          - Service Standards and Commitments
          - Address Information (see below for usage restrictions)

When I encountered the problems you describe (not returning any rates) I even emailed USPS to see if perhaps some permissions weren't set up on my USPS account and they assured me they were already set up. In my case once I fixed my username things started working. Once I fixed my boxes things started working even better. I assume you have weights set up for your products?
          Thanks for your help again. Okay, I have the right username from the email by USPS. I called them, it's setup and live as you said, no need to call. I have the following going on

one product, weight 1, dimensions 1x2x1, no other product settings. In boxes, I have two one is 11x8x5 (medium flat rate)- the only methods showing are the flat rates and others. Packing weight rules in settings 10x8x5, fallback 19.95. If I limit ship on product it shows "unable to calc" Not even fallback comes into play. checked module settings, usps active.
          What else is there???
          Suzanne

aGenius Marketing
          800-768-2693
          Web Design & e-Commerce

Comment

oops, okay, Sort Plus Free is on, that is where the fallback is. Not sure if that is the issue.
            Suzanne

aGenius Marketing
            800-768-2693
            Web Design & e-Commerce

Comment

issue on Chrome, not Firefox.
              Suzanne

aGenius Marketing
              800-768-2693
              Web Design & e-Commerce

Comment

Originally posted by agenius View Post
                issue on Chrome, not Firefox.
                You're getting rates in Firefox but not Chrome? There should be no difference and I've never seen a store give me rates with one and not the other. When you contacted support did we create a ticket? I would like to take a look and even turn on logging if I have to.
                Jim McCormick
                Miva Merchant Support
                866-284-9812

https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McCormick View Post
                  You're getting rates in Firefox but not Chrome? There should be no difference and I've never seen a store give me rates with one and not the other. When you contacted support did we create a ticket? I would like to take a look and even turn on logging if I have to.
                  Yes this is right. There is a ticket in there. To be fair, I have some issues with Chrome such as DNS lookups fail and web pages load as if there is no connection. Not sure what I've done to Chrome, but it is frequently broken. Maybe I'll reinstall it.
                  Suzanne

aGenius Marketing
                  800-768-2693
                  Web Design & e-Commerce

Comment

Originally posted by agenius View Post
                    Yes this is right. There is a ticket in there. To be fair, I have some issues with Chrome such as DNS lookups fail and web pages load as if there is no connection. Not sure what I've done to Chrome, but it is frequently broken. Maybe I'll reinstall it.
                    I found your ticket and was able to get USPS rates in both Chrome and Firefox. What version of Chrome are you using? You may also want to try with extensions disabled in case a random extension is causing a problem.
                    Jim McCormick
                    Miva Merchant Support
                    866-284-9812

https://www.miva.com

Comment

Just my totally unsolicited two cents about USPS shipping...

Do yourself / your client a solid and get an Endicia account.

It makes printing USPS postage SO MUCH EASIER.

I don't know if the USPS Module allows you to actually add postage or not (I thought it just printed an address label).

with the endicia module from Miva, you can print out both the label AND the postage at the same time.

anyway, maybe I am suggesting something redundant. Maybe the USPS module actually lets you print the postage in edition to the label. Haven't used it in a while.

Hope this helps.
                      Mark Romero
                      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Does the miva endicia module actually allow you to generate USPS rates quotes and display them to the customer during checkout though?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim McCormick View Post
                          I found your ticket and was able to get USPS rates in both Chrome and Firefox. What version of Chrome are you using? You may also want to try with extensions disabled in case a random extension is causing a problem.
                          ok, all is well, thanks for the assistance
                          Suzanne

aGenius Marketing
                          800-768-2693
                          Web Design & e-Commerce

Comment

Does the miva endicia module actually allow you to generate USPS rates quotes and display them to the customer during checkout though?
                            I don't think it does.

I think you have to have the Miva USPS module turned on for the quotes.

But when it comes to actually shipping, then use the Endicia module to print out postage.

I can't remember off the top of my head how much the Endicia monthly fee is to have an account with them (around $15 per month I think???)
                            Mark Romero
                            ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Do you need both the USPS module and the Endicia Module enabled to use USPS?
                              Highly caffeinated
                              http://www.coffeehouseexpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X