mac & compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: mac & compiler

How hard would it be to recompile the linux version to run on a Mac? (I mean for the Miva folks to do that, since the source is not available to most of us).

It would be great to make the Mac a supported platform for at least the compiler, though having Empresa run on the Mac would be helpful for me during development so I could use my Mac for development/testing.

Of course I would prefer to see Empresa running on 64bin Ubuntu Linux first.

Comment

64-bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux first, would be nice. That is THE most popular Linux distribution used by hosting companies (or CentOS, its binary equivalent cousin, without the Red Hat logos).

Mac OS X - I can see that being nice for Miva Mia desktop development, but since OS X is already Unix based, getting either MivaVM or Miva Mia to run on that platform should be trivial. I'd actually venture into saying MivaVM would be all that's needed, forget Miva Mia. With MivaVM you can have 100% replica of your server environment right on your desktop, which would make for writing or building anything Miva related on a Mac the ultimate development platform.

Comment

Originally posted by rberger View Post
        It would be great to make the Mac a supported platform for at least the compiler, though having Empresa run on the Mac would be helpful for me during development so I could use my Mac for development/testing.
        If you read my blog entry that I posted earlier, you can follow the exact same methodology I used. Write a script that sends off miva script text to something that saves the uncompiled file and invokes the compiler on whatever platform the compiler is running on.

I did this locally, giving myself the illusion of compiling and testing from my mac. I also did this for tiny PHP app for Viking Coders where we needed stuff custom compiled and distributed on the fly. This could all be easily be written in whatever language you want that can invoke an executable.

Here's the PHP source for my own local compilation:
        http://sifent.com/mivascript_textmate/compile.php

In that blog entry, A LOT of the source posted has a lot of hard coded stuff (paths and whatnot) in there, but it can be easily modified to fit your system needs or abstracted to make it usable in a more general fashion. It's a bit of a hack, but I was ultimately just interested in getting something to work since my editor of choice is Textmate.
        development blog

Comment

I did grab your textmate bundle and am truely grateful for that. I'm still early in the learning curve and so trying to also figure out how to use the php remote mechanism, translating it to use the Linux mvc, reverse engineer how you had your files layed out, etc. was too many levels of indirection for me right now.

I did finally figure out how to use the Miva Build System and have a set up using file sharing with a linux system from my Mac to do the compiles. Its a few steps to load the modules into the Miva Merchant server, but its working well enough for me now.

There is quite a lot to learn just to get a module to build and load let alone to figure out how to accomplish something useful.

But after about a week, I'm pretty productive and churning thru our requirements.

Your Textmate bundle really helped in terms of making things more pleasant though!

Originally posted by luis View Post
          If you read my blog entry that I posted earlier, you can follow the exact same methodology I used. Write a script that sends off miva script text to something that saves the uncompiled file and invokes the compiler on whatever platform the compiler is running on.

I did this locally, giving myself the illusion of compiling and testing from my mac. I also did this for tiny PHP app for Viking Coders where we needed stuff custom compiled and distributed on the fly. This could all be easily be written in whatever language you want that can invoke an executable.

Here's the PHP source for my own local compilation:
          http://sifent.com/mivascript_textmate/compile.php

In that blog entry, A LOT of the source posted has a lot of hard coded stuff (paths and whatnot) in there, but it can be easily modified to fit your system needs or abstracted to make it usable in a more general fashion. It's a bit of a hack, but I was ultimately just interested in getting something to work since my editor of choice is Textmate.

Comment

It looks like "luis" website no longer exists and I can't track down any copies of the mivascript textmate bundle on the Internet or where he went. So I've posted a copy of his bundle at https://github.com/rberger/Mivascript-Textmate-Bundle

Originally posted by luis View Post
            I don't write Miva Script anymore, but I wrote this post a few months ago sort of explaining my process for compiling from OS X.

Basically what did was write a Textmate bundle that handle syntax highlighting and all that good stuff. I wrote some snippets that filled out a lot of basic attributes for typical Miva Script declarations. Really quickened development time, as I spent less time typing repetitive code for looping through database results or writing an MvASSIGN statement.

The whole process worked by having textmate call a simple ruby script. That script did some really simple preprocessing to include additional files. That final .mv file was then sent via POST to a PHP script in my VMWare virtual machine. That PHP script fired up the compiler, compiled the file and placed it in the appropriate place in my 4.24, 5.0 or 5.5 store.

From there I reloaded my browser in OS X and saw changes. It took me a while to get it all working, but in the end it was a pretty nice setup.

The sample files I provided in that blog post have some fairly specific stuff to my former setup, but it should be, more or less, clear what was going on.

Comment

Working...
            X