mac & compiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mac & compiler

Quick question... Anyone have the compiler running on a mac?
    --
    Scott Zielinski
    -----------------------------
    Sebenza.com - Miva Merchant Partner
    MIVA Development & MIVA Modules

SearchSpring.net - Strategic Miva Merchant Partner
    How many sales is your search page losing?

Re: mac & compiler

You mean MacOS or a MacIntel running XP or better? The second option is working of course.
    Andreas Toman
    PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
    We built over 200 Miva Merchant stores!
    Miva shopping cart design & integration service and see our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
    web: www.pcinet.com
    LinkedIn: Andreas Toman
    phone: (786) 250-2056 (Miami, FL)

Comment

I guess I mean running the compiler on Tiger or Leopard.
      --
      Scott Zielinski

Comment

I don't think Miva has a native OS X version of the compiled... so that can be ruled out. But, if you run Windows through VMware Fusion or Parallels on Tiger or Leopard - the compiled works just fine.

Comment

The ironic thing is Miva Merchant (the company) is filled with Mac users.
          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
          CEO
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]
          https://www.miva.com

Comment

... funny thing, I spelled "compiler" with a "d" at the end - TWICE! :-)

We are still mostly Windows and Linux at the office, but Macs have started appearing a while back first as test machines to help our Mac clients, and now they are used by some of our staff full time. We have couple people who will not go back to Windows ever again... I'm myself switching right now to a MacBook Pro. My favorite Wintel laptop line - IBM ThinkPad - has been bought out by Lenovo and it shows. My 2 month old absolute top of the line ThinkPad T61p feels cheap, compared to even my old trusty 3 year old T42p (when IBM used to make them) and feels much slower than a MacBook Pro with the same CPU and memory - even when running Windows natively via Boot Camp. <sigh> Apple really did come up with hardware that "runs Windows better than Windows" (an old OS/2 line).

So, with that said, will Miva Merchant be releasing a native OS X compiler in the future? :-)

Comment

Re: mac &amp; compiler

It's certainly not out of the question but it's not a priority right now either.
              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
              CEO
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]

Comment

The ironic thing is Miva Merchant (the company) is filled with Mac users.
                That's cool :)

Comment

OK... I bought a powerbook pro. So... there must be some sort of hack or something to make the compiler run within OSX... without windows emulation. Anyone get any farther on this?
                  --
                  Scott Zielinski

Comment

I believe Miva's compiler is a Windows app, which means it will only run on Windows. To make it run on your Mac you will need to either boot it up in Windows mode (Boot Camp) or use either VMware Fusion or Parallels to run Windows apps on your OS X desktop (without dual-booting into Windows).

Comment

I've seen an explosion in end user Mac use just by frequenting the airport terminals everywhere. Now this thread. I only wish I'd bought apple stock on 2002 :(

Anyway with all this peek in OS X use is there any possibility the Apple server hardware and the Xserve software could have any potential performance merits for Merchant ?
                      Thanks,
                      -Barrett
                      Favorite Host Hostasaurus.com
                      Order Processing by Shipworks.com
                      Kindly Suggesting to:
                      *Dump Explorer and http://GetFireFox.com
                      *Post a meaningful subject line.
                      *Click the # button before pasting code

Comment

While we've seen an explosion in Mac use as well at the user level, I've not seen the same with Xserve.

If I'm mistaken however and there's demand, I don't think it would be a big deal since our engine already runs on FreeBSD.
                        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                        CEO
                        Miva, Inc.
                        [email protected]

Comment

We use some Xserve and Xserve RAID systems, but those are used mostly for media content delivery (QuickTime streaming). I don't know if there's going to be much demand for Miva hosting on Xserve... at least not short term. While Apple notebooks and desktops have decent and competitive pricing, the server line is still on the more expensive side, making it a more specialized solution for media delivery rather than general web hosting. Until you can buy a decently configured Xserve for under $5,000 (rather than $10,000 at current prices), I can't see many hosting companies rushing to buy a bunch of Xserves for Miva Merchant hosting... especially since the benefits offered by Xserve would be completely lost on Miva clients, as they wouldn't be able to take advantage of any of the OS X server features in their stores.

If anything, I can perhaps see Miva Mia or the Miva Script Compiler released in native versions for Mac OS X, but I don't think Miva Empresa for OS X is something that is needed at this time.

Comment

You have my vote for the compiler on mac.
                            --
                            Scott Zielinski

Comment

I don't write Miva Script anymore, but I wrote this post a few months ago sort of explaining my process for compiling from OS X.

Basically what did was write a Textmate bundle that handle syntax highlighting and all that good stuff. I wrote some snippets that filled out a lot of basic attributes for typical Miva Script declarations. Really quickened development time, as I spent less time typing repetitive code for looping through database results or writing an MvASSIGN statement.

The whole process worked by having textmate call a simple ruby script. That script did some really simple preprocessing to include additional files. That final .mv file was then sent via POST to a PHP script in my VMWare virtual machine. That PHP script fired up the compiler, compiled the file and placed it in the appropriate place in my 4.24, 5.0 or 5.5 store.

From there I reloaded my browser in OS X and saw changes. It took me a while to get it all working, but in the end it was a pretty nice setup.

The sample files I provided in that blog post have some fairly specific stuff to my former setup, but it should be, more or less, clear what was going on.
                              development blog

Comment

Working...
                              X