Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One-page Checkout Tutorial and Free "Default Payment Method Helper" module

Greetings Miva Merchants,

This week I implemented a one-page checkout in our Miva Merchant 5 store and documented the process fully as I went along. The end result is a several page tutorial in our Knowledgebase: Miva Merchant 5 One Page Checkout. I don't know if others have already provided this - sorry if it's redundant - though perhaps someone will find it useful.

The only difficult situation I ran into that couldn't be solved (in a generic way) was to pre-set the initial PaymentMethod value so the Payment fields were displayed right away. So I wrote a simple Utility/Component module that allows you to set a default payment method for your store. It's available for free on our Downloads page: Default Payment Method Helper - Miva Merchant 5.

I hope this helps some folks - enjoy!
    James
    James Harrell
    current: Friend of Miva
    2007-2012 eMediaSales & Viking Coders
    2005-2007 Miva Merchant
    2001-2005 Copernicus

Re: One-page Checkout Tutorial and Free "Default Payment Method Helper" module

I am using Weiland's Addendum module to charge a small "shipping insurance" fee. Would your set up still work with it?

Comment

Wow, lot's of adjustments. Very cool though.

You would think with the immense value of having a one page checkout and the fact that other systems have it, that there would be more modules offering one-page checkout, or that the option would be easier to do or native.

Comment

Sigh....wonder if we can make a Must Read topic before posting. The "Myth of the One Page Checkout" would be item #2.

If you want Merchant to have a one page checkout, then, you will need to be satified with only one type of payment option, one-type of shipping option and no opportunities for upselling, discounts, promotions, and eveything MY clients want to do with their ecommerce store.

On top of that, one page check-outs don't necessarily trump multipage checkouts in usability tests. The best checkout system present the processes in a CLEAR, CONSISE manner. (Note that CLEAR is first.)
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Red Flare
          I am using Weiland's Addendum module to charge a small "shipping insurance" fee. Would your set up still work with it?
          Possibly - you'd need to put the mvt:items into the OCST template and add any actions to it as well, then test and work out anything that doesn't work right. :)
          James Harrell
          2005-2007 Miva Merchant
          2001-2005 Copernicus

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia

If you want Merchant to have a one page checkout, then, you will need to be satified with only one type of payment option, one-type of shipping option and no opportunities for upselling, discounts, promotions, and eveything MY clients want to do with their ecommerce store.
            It's definitely not for everyone, but some of the blanket statements above aren't necessarily true... see the bottom of the tutorial that mentions this.

You can put a JavaScript "onSubmit" action that submits the form when the PaymentMethod selection changes. You're redirected back to the same page (or at least one that looks the same) with the new Payment Fields available. No JavaScript? No problem - the submission form will again return showing new payment fields in "red" as required items. Shipping generally doesn't cause a problem here at all, most shipping modules just calculate and don't require additional input.

I haven't tried it, but in theory upsell is still possible too, and would happen before the one-page checkout. Some discounts can be applied using Price Groups before the customer ever goes to checkout, and you could always add a coupon module that displays on this page. It's not quite as restrictive as some might be led to believe with your post.

No need to debate the benefits or preferences of this versus a clear multipage checkout. Different store owners have different needs. I hope this tutorial is found useful to those who choose a one-page checkout.

Best,
            James
            James Harrell
            2005-2007 Miva Merchant
            2001-2005 Copernicus

Comment

Just from a knowledge standpoint I did appreciate the tutorial very much.

I will have to defer to you veterans but I would think it's quite extensible at this point so all of these things could in fact be overcome/accomplished. The very act of trying to get things to work is usually fruitful.

Thanks! :)
              Last edited by netcompany; 11-08-07, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eMediaSales by James Harrell
                It's definitely not for everyone,<snip>

No need to debate the benefits or preferences of this versus a clear multipage checkout. Different store owners have different needs. I hope this tutorial is found useful to those who choose a one-page checkout.

Best,
                James
                Then, its not one page. Not knocking the tutorial, or the need to be concise...just the myth that multi-clicks = less orders. They don't. Only confusion does that, and many (see Amazon for a real good, bad example) "single" page checkouts are more confusing than Merchant's.

Doing a little research shows that NO storefront system has a single "page" check-out. A couple are using AJAX/Web 2.0 technologies to simulate a signal page, but the user still has to make multiple "clicks". Which is good, because it allows you to ask only relavent questions. Good example, customer lives in hawaii...so why show him Ground shipping.
                Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                phosphormedia.com

Comment

Re: One-page Checkout Tutorial and Free &quot;Default Payment Method Helper&quot; module

Good point, seems like we're all saying the same thing- the clearer and more concise the better and the two are not always mutually exclusive.
                  If you can shorten the process to only what is necessary and still maintain acuteness of clarity then you've got a winner. ;)

Comment

Re: One-page Checkout Tutorial and Free &quot;Default Payment Method Helper&quot; module

Exactly. That's why I said CLEAR and CONSISE. In that order. Clarity in information processing is often improved by lengthening the decision process, not shortening it.

One of the worst myths about online information came about in the early 90's where some idiot said "every thing needs to be within three clicks." To date, this Myth drives the UI design of the majority of sites, resulting in cluttered, confusing and under used home pages. The Myth is actually a result of a well respected UI study done at MIT. However, its the interpretation that got waylaid...methinks do to laziness more than hubris. The real rule is that users will generally give you three clicks to show them they are on the right path. Or, to put it another way, three guesses. After that, they bail. If the user is given accurate feedback-with little confusion, they will click till the cows come home.

Therefore, even dreaded "Merchant Check-out" process is fine with nothing more than the simple addition of clear informative text.

Number the steps in the process and display the users state in that processes: 1) Enter Your Name and Address 2) Select Method of Shipping and Payment, 3) Enter Payment Information 4) Complete Order. If you have an up sell, make sure you modify this display somehow, for example: and a step 3a).

Now, if you have one method of shipping, one method of payment, you are just going to annoy a customer by showing them a page that suggests they have a decision, when they don't. (UI tip: In the No Shipping Methods Found code, use conditionals to change the drop down to at least a text box. You can actually use some clever CSS to make the Text Box appear just as plain text, but that is another topic.
                    Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia
                      Sigh....wonder if we can make a Must Read topic before posting. The "Myth of the One Page Checkout" would be item #2.

hey bruce, you can have multiple payment options on a one-page checkout. i did it when v5 came out
                      On top of that, one page check-outs don't necessarily trump multipage checkouts in usability tests. The best checkout system present the processes in a CLEAR, CONSISE manner. (Note that CLEAR is first.)
                      so true, confusing one page is no better.
                      Jason Henderson - JMH Web Services
                      Miva Merchant Marketing Mastermind Group

SEO & Marketing for Miva Merchant
                      Miva Merchant Modules Comparison Directory
                      Miva Merchant Tutorials
                      Working with Miva Merchant since 1999 including search engine optimization and marketing specifically for Miva Merchant store owners.

Comment

Originally posted by eMediaSales
                        You can put a JavaScript "onSubmit" action that submits the form when the PaymentMethod selection changes. You're redirected back to the same page (or at least one that looks the same) with the new Payment Fields available. No JavaScript? No problem - the submission form will again return showing new payment fields in "red" as required items.
                        Best,
                        James
                        hey james, old little buddy,

i came in late, so sorry if this doesn't apply.

i have done payment type and payment fields on a one-page with no problem.

jason
                        Jason Henderson - JMH Web Services
                        Miva Merchant Marketing Mastermind Group

SEO & Marketing for Miva Merchant
                        Miva Merchant Modules Comparison Directory
                        Miva Merchant Tutorials
                        Working with Miva Merchant since 1999 including search engine optimization and marketing specifically for Miva Merchant store owners.

Comment

does this still work
                          The Mac Guru
                          Apple, Adobe, and Microsoft product developer
                          OSX 10.5.2
                          Adobe Creative Suite 3 Master Collection
                          Powerbook 17" Powermac Quad and a Xserve in my house!!

Comment

Well I tried out this method, but I am getting the following error

Shipping Selection is required and no shipping methods were found. Please contact the administrator directly.

not sure what it is asking for. Any thoughts?

Comment

EDIT.. I see that this thread is old as dirt....... Me shakes head with my long 2cents, which i just deleted....
                              Last edited by Datagg; 03-26-10, 08:01 PM.
                              Dan

Girlfriends Lingerie - "Keeping It Sexy!"
                              Sexy Lingerie - Twitter - Facebook- Pinterest - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X