Miva Merchant Payment opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miva Merchant Payment opinions

Well I'm searching again for a new payment gateway. Paypal was ok but had some issues there. Went then to Google Checkout and WOW are there issues there. I figured on going with verisign but oops they just go bought out by Paypal so I'm figuring they will end up being the same.
    So anyway, I was wondering about Miva Payment and specifically in regards to any kind of chargeback protection. All they say is that they will "support you in a chargeback". That doesn't tell me much.
    If you have experience with Miva Payment and especially in a chargeback situation I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

J.
    Jason
    JTH Electronics
    www.jthelectronics.com

Re: Miva Merchant Payment opinions

Miva Payment is just rebranded PayQuake service. There's no such thins as chargeback protection - no company will offer that, unless, perhaps, you pay them a lot of money as insurance, and they hold your sales $ for up to 6 months before depositing into your account (since that's how long people have to file chargebacks). It would ultimately cost you more to have such a program than the small percentage of actual chargebacks you may run into. In addition to all that - payment gateway companies do not actually get involved in handling any money - they are just the intermediary between your merchant bank and your online store - so they would have no interest in offering such option. All they charge you is a flat per-transaction fee ($0.10 to $0.30, in average). It's your merchant bank that charges actual discount fees and all sorts of other fees and handles your chargebacks.

Comment

Miva Payment is just rebranded PayQuake service.
      While I understand why someone would have this perception it's not really true. We did form a Joint Venture with the owners of payQuake (but not payQuake itself) and they are acting as our interim ISO.

But what is truly key here and why it's not the same as being just rebranded payQuake is that we're in the process of becoming our own ISO. We handle the payment gateway portion directly and once we are officially our own ISO we'll be handling all of the customer service ourselves (we're not allowed to until then).

You are correct there is no such thing as Chargeback protection but we do include a number of fraud protection features free of charge with our gateway that most gateways charge $100 or more per year to use.

The other thing I'm VERY confident in stating is that we'll offer the best customer service available in the payment industry (and this is doubly true for Miva Merchant users).
      Thanks,

Rick Wilson
      CEO
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]
      https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson
        We did form a Joint Venture with the owners of payQuake
        Errr... backspace, backspace... that should read... well, no, never mind, I'll keep my mouth shut. This isn't for public knowledge. ;)

Rick - just about any merchant account provider offers the option to resellers to become "their own" white label merchant providers and/or gateways, some with more work and investment than others. This is unrelated to the question posted here earlier, but I may as well ask since no doubt we will see more and more clients asking about this option. What is the value proposition you hope to offer to those choosing to go with Miva Payment rather than direct with PayQuake or through another parter or reseller? We've briefly talked about this on the phone once (very briefly, not sure if you recall). Just want to know for when clients ask which option to go with - if I know there's something special about the way you plan on offering this service down the road, and it turns out to be beneficial to individual merchants - it would be good to have this info for our "sales pitch" and possible referral to you rather than sending clients direct to PayQuake. If this is too much to go over in a public forum and you'd like to cover it offline, perhaps we can talk about this at the conference next week?

Comment

just about any merchant account provider offers the option to resellers to become "their own" white label merchant providers and/or gateways, some with more work and investment than others.
          Yeah I know this is a common practice in the industry and something we feel we're handling differently this time. In other words, Miva Payment (the old Cybersource product) was exactly that, a white label of a product we had effectively no control over.

When customers who were on the old Miva Payment product switched to the new Miva Merchant Payment a number of them asked if we were going to do this to them again in another few years. This is where the fact that we formed our own ISO is very different than white labeling another companies product. Since it's our own ISO, I can't actually imagine what would need to happen for us to need to switch again in the future to another payment option.

As for the rest of your question, tt would be my pleasure to go over it at the conference. Perhaps during the BBQ Friday night over some Pulled Pork. :)
          Thanks,

Rick Wilson
          CEO
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]
          https://www.miva.com

Comment

I've seen the menu. I want my Argentinean Beef Tenderloin with Blue Cheese Alfredo. :p
            Last edited by d_host; 02-23-08, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I found the comment about "no payment gateway really providing chargeback protection" interesting. I don't know if I'm not clear on my question or if I'm not educated enough but I did receive what I termed "chargeback protection" when I was using Paypal.
              I was the victim of fraud , the goods I sold were never recovered but I worked through the Paypal resolution center and ultimately they covered the $450 I would have lost had they not had a policy.
              This is important to me because I sell many high dollar items, as much as $5,000 for a single item and even one loss due to fraud at those prices is a major hit for a small guy like me. So I'm really looking to see if Miva Payment offers any protection like that. Or does someone know of another payment gateway that offers good service, reasonable rates and real fraud protection?
              Jason
              JTH Electronics
              www.jthelectronics.com

Comment

Look at merchant account providers for a service like this - it almost certainly wouldn't be the function of a payment gateway (they are only the intermediary between your merchant account - which does the actual credit card billing - and your online store). Payment gateways do not get involved in chargeback resolution in any way. At best they offer fraud scrubbing services - verifying IPs, checking cards and addresses against known CC fraudsters, blocking CC authorization attacks (when hundres or thousands of stolen or made up credit card numbers are tested on your site in a very short period of time), and so on.

Other than that, if you ever run into a chargeback issue, you'll be working with your merchant account provider. That is where you will want to make sure you cover all your bases so that in case of a chargeback, you can work with them and hopefully get resolution.

What does this mean? You will need to make sure that you ship your products ONLY to the billing address, or an authorized address on the card (this may require manual phone calls to individual card issuing banks if the address doesn't match - Miva only checks the billing address, not shipping). This means you'll have to check the AVS and CVV2 response codes for every transaction and if something doesn't match, yet you ship the order out, you will NOT get any sort of chargeback protection from anyone. As a merchant, it's your responsibility to make sure everything looks good and you take the risk if you decide to ship something out when your merchant bank tells you the transaction looks fishy.

Then, you have to use shipping methods that show a proof of shipment, but even more importantly - proof of delivery and a signature that someone did receive the package. Without this, you can't prove to your merchant bank that you shipped anything out or that it was received by the cardholder. If you can't prove that - again, you instantly lose any hope of fighting the chargeback. This limits you to shipping methods like FedEx, UPS, DHL...

And finally - some common sense is in order. If you see someone buying 10 identical items at $5000 each, chances are high it's fraud - anyone really wanting to place such an order would at least try to get a bit of a discount and would contact you first to arrange for that, plus perhaps an alternate payment option (wire transfer, certified check, etc).

At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself whether you feel confident you did everything right while processing transactions. If you do your homework, check AVS/CVV2 response codes, verify the shipping address, get delivery confirmation with signature, chances are very high that you can fight any chargeback. If you take the risk and ship everything out without checking these things - well, you are on your own...

Comment

From what I'm hearing I guess Paypal is the only way to get chargeback protection. I agree you need to meet certain criteria such as showing the shipping and signature records to the verified address and other items but they do offer protection if meet those criteria. From their seller protection policy:

"If your transaction meets the qualification requirements for the Seller Protection Policy, PayPal will reimburse you for the amount of the Chargeback or Reversal and, if applicable, waive the Chargeback Fee."

They cover up to $5,000 per year. And there are other stipulations but if your doing business right you will be covered with most sales.

With that said though I don't think I'm going back to them. I'm thinking of using Authorize.net after doing a bit of research possibly with "PreCharge" as additional protection. I'm waiting for more info from the "PreCharge" sales office but it appears there is some decent protection with them for a "per sale" fee if I read their website correctly. It appeared to be a small amount of $0.50 per transaction but I need to get more info from them before doing anything.

Anyway I appreciate the information shared here and always welcome more.

J.
                  Jason
                  JTH Electronics
                  www.jthelectronics.com

Comment

Hello!

Sift Science is a new fraud solution to Miva Merchant and we're looking for Miva sites to beta test our product. While we do not offer chargeback protection, we do offer a revolutionary fraud detection system at an affordable price point.

Sift Science uses the same technology that Amazon and Apple use to fight fraud, machine learning, but applies it to online businesses of all sizes. Some of our large customers include Match.com, airbnb, and Open Table. We are finalizing our Miva Merchant plugin and are looking for Miva beta testers.

Sift has been very effective for merchants of all sizes. For merchants that have already experienced fraud, we’ve been able to significantly reduce manual review times, while also being maintaining remarkable accuracy. More information about Sift can be found on our website.

Please reply to this thread if you’re interested in beta testing Sift Science's Miva plugin! I look forward to working with you.

Best,
                    Erica

Comment

Working...
                    X