Payment Gateway Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payment Gateway Suggestions

Slightly OT.... I need some help in choosing a payment gateway. Aside from costs, I don't know what questions to ask. I'd be interested in specific recommendations ("use this vendor" or "stay away from that vendor") as well as general suggestions on the process.

The long list of possibles are: Cardservice/LinkPoint Payment; Gateway; PayPal Instant Payment Notification; Authorize.Net Payment Services v3.1; debit-it! - Full Service Online Electronic Check Processing; PayQuake; U.S. Merchant Systems; R-P-G (Rodopi Payment Gateway); E-Commerce Exchange/QuickCommerce 3.0 Payment Gateway; Verisign Payflow Pro (PaymentNet) Verisign Payflow Link; Paradata Payment Service; Lynk Internet Processing; Innovative Gateway Solutions; CyberSource ICSv2 Payment Services; GlobalCommerce Payment Gateway; e-ValuCheck - Accept checks for immediate shipment; Moneris e-SELECT Payment Service;

If maximum reliability is the priority, Verisign Payflow Pro is usually best. It can range in price from lowest to highest depending on your order volume since it has a higher base fee than all the rest but the base fee includes 1000 transactions per month. The rest are cheaper but have per-transaction fees that start with the 1st transaction. I'd say the only other two gateways to look at would be Authorize.net/PayQuake (same thing) and CyberSource/Miva Payment (same thing).
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

By far the best is Verisign Payflow Pro - it's very fast, super reliable, and their uptime is unmatched. You can get it directly from Verisign at their full price, or perhaps through your host or another reseller at a discounted rate. We offer a great price on it on our site.

Then you have Authorize.net, probably second in line... and PayQuake... (which you can also get through us at better rates). Avoid Cardservices' LinkPoint - it's terribly unreliable and historically everyone who's tried it has nothing but negative things to say about it. All others are hit and miss.

Comment

Is Payflow still good even though now essentially a Paypal product instead of a Verisign product ? Paypal itself does not have the best of reputations in other areas.

Comment

It should be the same and getting better as the Payflow emlpoyees transitioned to PayPal with the Payment Services division and continue to work on it. They're working to integrate PayPal into Payflow so you can accept all card types and PayPal. Miva's recently released a new Payflow mod for Merchant 5 that starts to make use of some of the anti-fraud features of Payflow. On the support side, we've seen them get better there as well; we're a reseller of Payflow and they've now given us 24x7 phone access to them where before even resellers had to pay for premium support.

Their reporting interface could definitely be improved compared to a few of the others but it's good enough for most when coupled with the reliability and low transaction cost.
          David Hubbard
          CIO
          Miva
          [email protected]
          http://www.miva.com

Comment

Verisign sold its payment services division to PayPal (which in turn is owned by eBay), but at least so far the service has been pretty much unchanged. I think PayPal is very careful about not destroying what's working well and has built up great reputation.

There have been couple small snags as they were in the process of moving all services to their own datacenter from the one where Verisign was hosting at, but all in all - they are still rock solid. They are currently implementing some new systems and new gateway services, which will likely surface soon. We use them ourselves and we have many cleints using them, and we haven't had any problems since the PayPal acquisition.

Comment

Re: Payment Gateway Suggestions

I'm reading this thread because I'm contemplating switching from Authorize.net to Paypal for payment processing. "Contemplating" might not be the right word, because I'm being badgered by a Paypal salesman.

It does look like I can get better rates through Paypal than through Authorize.net, which is a good reason to switch. But switching one's payment processor is something one should not do on a lark. I'm wondering if anyone has any horror stories (or complements) regarding Paypal payment processing. I *think* the service that they have suggested is "PayPal Payments Pro (Payflow Edition)" (which is different from "PayPal Payments Pro (Direct Payment)", which, by the way, is called "Website Payments Pro" in Canada and the UK. Someone needs to put collar on their sloganeering department.

Kevin Garrett

Comment

I can say we now see larger and larger customers on PayPal's more traditional products like this, and generally they work very well. We also personally use Auth.net with Chase, for what that's worth.
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]
                https://www.miva.com

Comment

I have almost finished implementation of Paypal Payments Pro and I am considering not going through with it. Paypal's admin console does not show information for "declines." We use this all the time when customers call up because their card was declined. We can tell them exactly why it was declined by viewing the "decline" on Authorize.net. Paypal's implementation of AVS has "training wheels" on it. There is not the ability to configure to the full extent which tests should cause rejection.

So... I'm looking for another option. Paypal's fees look to be much better than I am getting currently with Authorize.net, but I have to give up some pretty important stuff to get that. Does anyone have suggestions for other payment processors?

Thanks

Kevin Garrett

Comment

We love Chase with Auth.net (remember that Auth.net isn't setting your fees, the bank is, Auth.net is just the gateway).

Let me know if you want an intro to our Chase rep?
                    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                    CEO
                    Miva, Inc.
                    [email protected]

Comment

Thanks. I'll consider Chase. Auth.net does have their monthly fee as well as the "discount" fees, of course. Paypal's is lower as well as better overall rates. I have found that what I was signed up for, Payments Pro has limitations that Payflow Pro does not. That company has way to many ambiguous and like-named services. The business appears to be in the grip of the sloganeering department.

Comment

Kevin,

It's worth noting the Discount Rate is not being charged by Auth.net, but by the underlying Merchant Processor. Auth.net is ONLY a payment gateway, they don't sell Merchant Accounts (or do Acquiring as it's called).

I've asked Phil Sullivan from our side to reach out to you via email and introduce you to our Chase rep.
                        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                        CEO
                        Miva, Inc.
                        [email protected]

Comment

Right, I understand that, but the pricing I got from Paypal is significantly lower than what I am getting now. Maybe it has to do with BofA, which is currently my Processor (as I understand term). Paypal promises me (for one thing), that I won't be paying all the ridiculous fees for people's rewards cards, which I am now. They did an analysis of my charges for the year and they are telling me I'll save about $7000 per year by switching to Paypal. Of course, I have no way to know how true this is until I switch.

Regarding Chase, I received the email from Phil. Thanks.

Kevin Garrett

Comment

Yeah BofA is who's setting your discount rate in that case and yes PayPal doesn't charge non qual rates, they just have a single flat rate (which is why it's often the cheapest choice).
                            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                            CEO
                            Miva, Inc.
                            [email protected]

Comment

OK, I've spent a bit more time on this now. Does Chase do Interchange Plus pricing or the qual,non-qual pricing tiers? What about a module? I assume I need a dedicated Chase module to use them. Is that not correct?

I went to a website called cardfellow.com and got "quotes" from several companies that use Interchange Plus. The most expensive of these (still much cheaper than what I'm paying now), is First Data. I see that there IS a First Data module already in my store. That does tend to make me lean in their direction.

Other quotes generated by cardfellow include: GDPay, PayHub, LEAP Payments, TSYS, and Netcom PaySystem. (If this is the same Netcom as the old Netcom, I'll pass on that option...) Like I said, won't I need a specific Miva module for any one of these?

Kevin Garrett

Comment

Working...
                              X