Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatically Generate Activation Code for Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatically Generate Activation Code for Software?

I work for a small software company that allows customers to download & try our program for 30 days. If they choose to buy it, they give us their serial number which we use to create a unique user code to unlock the program for unlimited use.

Is there a built-in feature or add-on module that can generate a software activation code automatically from the serial number (after credit card approval, of course)?

Re: Automatically Generate Activation Code for Software?

Dear Kevin,

There is nothing off the shelf. But we could write one for you.

You can contact me off forum if you wish.
    Thank You,

Nerd Boy

http://www.nerdboyinc.com

1-855-Nerd-Boy

Comment

It wouldnt be too difficult to use a small module to call out to a remote application to generate the keys and pull them into the order confirmations or INVC screen.

It would take a little more to do, but you could also pass the customer information so as to tie the product, key and customer info to the license.

We can also provide this kind of functionality.

Originally posted by KevinT
      I work for a small software company that allows customers to download & try our program for 30 days. If they choose to buy it, they give us their serial number which we use to create a unique user code to unlock the program for unlimited use.

Is there a built-in feature or add-on module that can generate a software activation code automatically from the serial number (after credit card approval, of course)?

Comment

Actually - there is software off-the-shelf that you can use for this. It requires that you embed some of their licensing verification code into your own application and then recompile the executable, or, often you can just 'append' the code to an already compiled .exe file (though that's not the preferred option). Contact me off-list for more details - we've used this in the past, until we started writing our own licensing mechanism that integrates with our in-house DRM servers which allow us to fully control each and every install of an application, right down to turning off the license (and effectively access to the app) if need be. If you are looking for off-the-shelf solutions - there actually are a few I can share with you.

Comment

Working...
        X