Noobie Setup questions:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noobie Setup questions:

Sorry for such a basic question... I am sure that this has already been answered someplace, however I could not find it by searching this forum and google (maybe I am not asking the right question?) I am new to Miva Merchant... it is offered as an installed application by my host.

I attempted to install and activate the application and ran into a wall... I am running mySQL5 and honestly not willing to downgrade because of other applications that are dependent on 5.*

However, when I try to install, I get an error message indicating that MIVA requires mySQL 4.*.

Is there a way around this? (MIVA Empressa 5.06 is also available)

Thanks for your help

Re: Noobie Setup questions:

What OS is your hosting account running on?
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am on a VPS running Red Hat ES Linux 4 OS w/Apache 2.

Comment

Who installed Empresa for you? Do you have enough access to the server to make changes to Miva Empresa? We do have a connector library for MySQL v5 but it is currently in beta. While we have not had any reports of issues with it on *nix platforms it since it's release in Nov, it is still in beta and we cannot fully support it in a live environment. If you have access to make changes to Empresa you can download the connector library here,

http://support.smallbusiness.miva.co...nloaditemid=33

If you cannot make changes to Empresa than fwd this information to your host or server admin. If you would like us to take care of this for you AND you have the necessary access to the server please give me a call.
        Jim McCormick
        Miva Merchant Support
        866-284-9812

Comment

Thank you for your response. Presently Empressa is not installed however it is available as an installable application.

Though I am not certain, nor qualified, I believe that I have full access to manage my host account. Nevertheless, I'll contact tech support to be sure.

I will also follow the thread that you posted to learn more... stand by because I am sure I'll be calling...

Thanks again,

Ed

Comment

Ed,

Miva Merchant will not run if Empresa is not installed. Where exactly did you get the error that told you that you have to be on MySQL v4?

"when I try to install, I get an error message indicating that MIVA requires mySQL 4.*."
            Jim McCormick
            Miva Merchant Support
            866-284-9812

Comment

Thanks again for your response.

I may have things out of order, but I tried to install MIVA Merchant assuming that Empressa was an addition to the primary application. It was then that I received the error message. Should I install Empressa first and then Merchant?

While these applications are available, there is very little in regards to instructions available from the host site.

Thanks

Comment

Ed,

I take it you're using PLESK? It's the only control panel I know of that can install either for you. Yes, install Empresa first and then Merchant. Do you already have a Miva Merchant domain license? Send me the license via private message, we might be able to install the connector library for you.
                Jim McCormick
                Miva Merchant Support
                866-284-9812

Comment

Jim,

I don't know about PLESK... I am hosted by Westhost if that means anything (www.westhost.com). I will try to install Empressa using their installation utility and then Merchant. I don't know about the domain license. Sorry for being such a bone-head, but how can I find that information? After installation?

Comment

Jim,

I installed Empres and the library. Also uploaded mysql5.so to the approprate directory (same as mysql.so and oracle.so and others) and tried to install Merchant and got the following:

Where do I go from here?

Comment

Can you please check with Westhost? I don't know their control panel at all so I don't know if there is a built in way around that. There are other ways to install Merchant but I think you should be contacting Westhost first. You should also rename the mysql5.so to mysql.so after renaming the old one to mysql4.so.
                      Jim McCormick
                      Miva Merchant Support
                      866-284-9812

Comment

Thanks... I did rename the old *.so files but left the mysql5.so as is... I'll try to remove the 5 and see if that is recognized... otherwise I'll contact West Host support and see where to go from here... maybe it is a simple line of code that refers to mysql4?

thanks
                        Last edited by onlineguidefinder; 02-27-08, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I sent my request to the host and they changed my installation of MySQL 5 so that it appeared as MySQL 4 and allowed the installation of MIVA to proceed. They did declare that I was on my own with any further setup. Likewise, I changed the name of the connector to mysql.so.

All went well and the setup worked as expected. During the setup, the Westhost instructions provided the information for the specific fields. I entered the data exactly as directed (except for replacing my domain where necessary of course).

However, now when I try to log into the administrator, I get the password prompt, when I click submit I get "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page. I tried a wrong password and did receive a reply indicating so...

I checked the database and have 14 tables setup on a database titled miva5. some of the tables are populated with default data.

Where do I go from here?

Comment

Try Firefox and see if you can get past the initial login. It may be a store setting somewhere (check Domain Settings) or a cookie issue in IE or some other obscure config setting you may need to correct.

Say.. did you try running diag.mvc or diag5.mvc, to make sure your MivaVM is set up properly and all tests pass 100%?

Comment

Great suggestions... thanks. I'll try both.

Comment

Working...
                              X